Question about brand new member posts being included in emails

Hello all. Let’s say we have this unchecked: “Include posts from new users in summary emails by default.” (meaning, we don’t want potentially untrustworthy new members posts being included in emails we sent out). It sounds like it’s talking about those Summary emails. Does this also hold true for the Mailing List Mode emails? I.e. the “daily” emails or “every post” emails you get if you check off Mailing List Mode.

Although I haven’t tested it recently, my understanding is that mailing list mode is entirely unaffected by this setting – its only goal is to prevent showcasing possibly bad new user posts in the summary mail.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply, @fefrei. I just did a test where I signed up as a brand new member and started a new topic. 10 minutes have passed and my topic has not gone out as a mailing list mode email for “every post.” I should know tomorrow whether it gets included in the “daily” mailing list mode email.

I’ll update this thread with more results of this test.

OK, an update – The post did go out as an “every post” mailing list mode email 30 minutes later. Not sure if Discourse was in charge of the 30 minute delay or if it’s something to do with the email service at Communiteq (formerly DiscourseHosting).

You can check the admin panel to see when the mail was sent :slight_smile:

2 Likes

OK, here’s an update. My test topic as a brand new user was not included in the mailing list mode daily emails.

So my test shows the following for mailing list mode emails:

• “every post” emails - do include emails from brand new users
  • “daily” emails - do not include emails from brand new users

Hope this is helpful to anyone else wondering about this!

2 Likes

I don’t think this is true; @neil can confirm.

For the mailing list mode summary emails, the same logic as the regular summary emails is used for new users. User preferences let you choose whether TL0 user topics can show or not. Maybe that’s a regression from all the changes I made to regular summary emails.

3 Likes

That does seem a bit regression-y as mailing list means everything.

2 Likes

Is it easy to change this? If its a 20 minute change I would go ahead and allow TL0 in mailing list summary emails. (not digest)

So there’s no such thing as a “mailing list mode summary email” anymore. @sam are you asking to change the summary emails (which aren’t specific to mailing list mode) to always enable “Include content from new users in summary emails” if a user has enabled mailing list mode?

2 Likes

Hmmm now that I looked at this:

I am not sure there is anything more to do here, would ticking “include content from new users” take care of TL0?

Yes, that would qualify TL0 posts for the summary emails. But I think anyone following this topic is probably using the plugin by now to get the old mailing list digest.

2 Likes