Question Answer Plugin

This was occurring on all topics, not just QnA ones. We have a ‘Questions’ category when all topics are QnA, and also have the ‘question’ tag to make a topic QnA.

The behavior is slightly different now though, before the sort order they were given fixed them at the bottom of the list, now they are still out of order, but newer posts are below them.

1 Like

Thanks @AJDurant.

One of our clients experienced this issue, so I was able to take a closer look at a dataset where it was occuring. I believe one issue here might be the when topics where a QA tag is removed are handled.

I’ve started a PR that addresses this issue, which @mbcahyono and I will work on

https://github.com/paviliondev/discourse-question-answer/pull/38

The way to fix the issue for a specific topic is:

./launcher enter app
rails c
topic = Topic.find(<topic_id>) 
topic.posts.each { |p| p.update_columns(sort_order: p.post_number) }

If anyone needs any more hands on help addressing this issue on their server please reach out to me privately and I can help you address it (no charge).

1 Like

Sorry for not responding sooner. I’ve been traveling this week. I can confirm your code above is fixing the individual posts with issues.

I also confirmed that running the following command does NOT fix the problem

rake "posts:reorder_posts[1234]"

Is there a way to run this across all posts - basically loop over all posts?

And you’ve just run rake posts:reorder_posts by itself and it doesn’t work? Please try that again first.

If that doesn’t work you can run this

./launcher enter app
rails c
Post.update_all("sort_order = post_number")

We have figured out what the issue is. It was introduced back in August. We’ll push a fix for it shortly, with a test for the case.

https://github.com/paviliondev/discourse-question-answer/pull/38#issuecomment-739137531

2 Likes

I ran the above command and got the following error

root@REMOVE-web-only:/var/www/discourse# rake posts:reorder_posts
rake aborted!
PG::UniqueViolation: ERROR:  duplicate key value violates unique constraint "post_timings_unique"
DETAIL:  Key (topic_id, post_number, user_id)=(1567, 20, 3) already exists.
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/rack-mini-profiler-2.2.0/lib/patches/db/pg.rb:110:in `exec'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/rack-mini-profiler-2.2.0/lib/patches/db/pg.rb:110:in `async_exec'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/mini_sql-0.3/lib/mini_sql/postgres/connection.rb:201:in `run'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/mini_sql-0.3/lib/mini_sql/postgres/connection.rb:173:in `exec'
/var/www/discourse/lib/tasks/posts.rake:368:in `block (3 levels) in <main>'
/var/www/discourse/lib/tasks/posts.rake:351:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/lib/tasks/posts.rake:351:in `block (2 levels) in <main>'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/activerecord-6.0.3.3/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/database_statements.rb:280:in `block in transaction'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/activerecord-6.0.3.3/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/transaction.rb:280:in `block in within_new_transaction'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/activesupport-6.0.3.3/lib/active_support/concurrency/load_interlock_aware_monitor.rb:26:in `block (2 levels) in synchronize'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/activesupport-6.0.3.3/lib/active_support/concurrency/load_interlock_aware_monitor.rb:25:in `handle_interrupt'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/activesupport-6.0.3.3/lib/active_support/concurrency/load_interlock_aware_monitor.rb:25:in `block in synchronize'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/activesupport-6.0.3.3/lib/active_support/concurrency/load_interlock_aware_monitor.rb:21:in `handle_interrupt'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/activesupport-6.0.3.3/lib/active_support/concurrency/load_interlock_aware_monitor.rb:21:in `synchronize'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/activerecord-6.0.3.3/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/transaction.rb:278:in `within_new_transaction'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/activerecord-6.0.3.3/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/database_statements.rb:280:in `transaction'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/activerecord-6.0.3.3/lib/active_record/transactions.rb:212:in `transaction'
/var/www/discourse/lib/tasks/posts.rake:312:in `block in <main>'
/usr/local/bin/bundle:23:in `load'
/usr/local/bin/bundle:23:in `<main>'
Tasks: TOP => posts:reorder_posts
(See full trace by running task with --trace)

I did not run the second command once I saw the duplicate key error thinking that might be a larger issue.

That looks like an issue with your db that’s independent of this, but blocking a fix here. I’ll pm you shortly and we can debug that seperately.

2 Likes

Thanks @angus that all seems to be working correctly now :smiley:

Running latest release and seeing the following errors.

Message (49 copies reported)

Job exception: uninitialized constant Jobs::QaUpdateTopicsPostOrder
Did you mean? Jobs::UpdateTopicPostOrder
Jobs::QAUpdateTopicsPostOrder

Backtrace

/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/activesupport-6.0.3.3/lib/active_support/inflector/methods.rb:284:in const_get' /var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/activesupport-6.0.3.3/lib/active_support/inflector/methods.rb:284:in block in constantize’
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/activesupport-6.0.3.3/lib/active_support/inflector/methods.rb:280:in each' /var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/activesupport-6.0.3.3/lib/active_support/inflector/methods.rb:280:in inject’
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/activesupport-6.0.3.3/lib/active_support/inflector/methods.rb:280:in constantize' /var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.7.0/gems/activesupport-6.0.3.3/lib/active_support/core_ext/string/inflections.rb:68:in constantize’
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/base.rb:288:in enqueue' /var/www/discourse/app/jobs/onceoff/onceoff.rb:40:in block in enqueue_all’
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/onceoff/onceoff.rb:37:in each' /var/www/discourse/app/jobs/onceoff/onceoff.rb:37:in enqueue_all’

Sorry for the issue. Working on it, waiting to be merged:

https://github.com/paviliondev/discourse-question-answer/pull/39

1 Like

Cool, I’m excited to see this merged and look forward to the fix. Happy Holidays.

What is the role of the “QnA one-to-many format.” setting that can be found in category settings?

1 Like

It’s a deprecated feature, which we’ll be removing from the QnA Plugin in the near future. That feature now has it’s own dedicated plugin

2 Likes

How do you remove your vote? In options, there is a configuration of how much time you have to undo the vote, but I don’t see a way how to actually do that.

1 Like

Are there any good examples of this plugin in use in the wild? I’d love to see it in action!

Select the yellow “Undo your upvote” text - see screenshot below.

I noticed a few feedback items:

1. up icon to vote is not respecting dark theme (see screenshot)
  2. placement of my flair on comments on answers is off (see screenshot)
  3. styling of the info button is not bad but it doesn’t really match the rest of the page and takes up some horizontal space. Maybe a different approach, e.g. a small text link in the top right corner or next to the category and tag would work better? Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 12.14.56 PM
  4. “Undo your upvote” link is not obviously a link
  5. qa trust level vote limits admin setting is deselected by default, but I still get an error “You cannot exceed the number of votes for your trust level” which doesn’t maek sense? Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 12.18.37 PM
  1. Is there only a ‘Comment’ button on first post and the replies don’t show that button on bottom?

That’s OK by design or there is a bug in my theme?

1. Upvoting is missaligned, I think that could be fixed by CSS (I will try to do it).

Thanks!

Can we recover the normal order of posts uninstalling the plugin?

I see that previous reported bug really messy our conversations :neutral_face:

Yes there seems to be a conflict between this plugin and the Solved Plugin, i.e. the “Solution” element in your screenshot. This plugin does not yet offiically support the Solved Plugin.

Yes, you just need to disable the plugin in a category in which its enabled and the posts will go back to their normal order.

1 Like

Thank you for this plugin! One question, what happens to the content if the plugin is removed? It is clear that the votes and the special sorting of replies will be gone, but what would happen to the “replies” and “comments” for each reply? Will they stay are will they gone?

My reason to ask is that we have started using this plugin to build a collaborative user guide. Having comments for each reply is very convenient. The votes are promising too, but what if they come with unintended consequences and we want to get rid of them? It would be a pity to lose the guide because we want to remove the votes.

Worst case scenario, I guess we could remove the vote UI via CSS, keeping the plugin there.

1 Like

Great question.

Comments and answers are just posts showing up in a different order. They will be retained.

If you want to uninstall the plugin just uncheck “Make all topics in this category QnA” in the category settings. This will revert all of the posts to their original order.

For example I just reverted the QnA category on try.thepavilion.io to its standard order (i.e. chronological (will change in back in 24 hours).

2 Likes

Ok, knowing this is encouraging. We will try the plugin, and if the votes don’t fulfill their mission then we will have two options to remove them: the light one via CSS and the heavy one disabling the plugin. No content lost. Great adaptation of Discourse core components!

By the way, just in case you are curious, we are using your plugin to create a collaborative video guide of a product, where people are invited to link to videos that people have created about aspects of this product. We have customized a couple of labels to make it work. See Bitwig Video Guide - Bitwish (we have just started, so it is mostly empty; also, most subcategories are muted and this is why it looks emptier for anonymous users).

3 Likes