Quick Access juggling things around after a delay

Hi. In a Discourse site that I use daily, I am experiencing an annoyance with the Quick Access menu (the one on the top right that shows the recent notifications, etc), I click to open and then after a small but noticeable delay, the content in the menu is updated and things swap position.

This started maybe around a month ago when some update changed the way those notifications are shown. Before it could be something like…

unread notification
read notification
unread notification
read notification
unread notification
unread notification
read notification
read notification

but now it moves things around to become…

unread notification
unread notification
unread notification
unread notification
read notification
read notification
read notification
read notification

I think I get the logic behind this, but honestly, the experience is really terrible at this point, because I open the menu, my brain processes it very quickly, I decide where to click, and when I am about to click, things get moved from under my mouse! I often click the wrong thing any way!

I see several way of improving this

• go back to the old way
  • make it lightning fast
  • make sure it updates before showing anything

Am I the only one who finds this jarring?

Your first bullet list is only how it works if your unread notifications are reactions, and the second is the format for all other notifications, AFAIK.

Here’s a video in case it helps to understand what I am talking about.

What I want to show with this video is the visible delay of things moving around in the menu. I click something, I am displayed something which my brain starts to evaluate and read, and then a fraction of a second later things are moved and I have to start over my interpretation of what I am seeing. On days of slow internet I occasionally even point and click on something that magically disappears from under my mouse and I get taken to the wrong page.