Quick Messages Plugin

(Marco) #72

Even my users are happy with this change!
Staff should implement it as the official plugin!

(Angus McLeod) #73

@meglio @Roxelle @Rodelio_Lagahit Thanks guys.

I’ll get back to this plugin soon. Been busy with work and Topic List Previews.

(Anton) #74

One interesting thing is that some people thought that this new PM functionality had replaced the existing PMs. And they weren’t happy about it and asked me to bring the old PMs back.

Any ideas on how to make it more clear that this is an addition to the existing PM system rather than its replacement?

(Anton) #75

After the latest upgrade, I can’t see a mail icon in the top right corner anymore.

(cpradio) #76

You won’t. Discourse implemented an experimental new header, no plugin is working with it yet.

(Angus McLeod) #77

@meglio Looks like the header has been widgetized while I was away. I will migrate this plugin to the latest code in the next day or so.

Any ideas on how to make it more clear that this is an addition to the existing PM system rather than its replacement?

hm. A link to the ‘full’ message topic perhaps? I’m open to suggestions. So far I’ve modeled this on Facebook messages. I’ll have a quick look at how they might suggest this to users (if at all).

(| full stack virgin) #78

This is what I’m getting in my error logs:

My nav bard looks pretty much empty;

Any reason for this? Or suggested fix? Already removed/install it again and rebuild but I still can’t see the menu.

(Sam) #79

Check the post immediately above yours.

(| full stack virgin) #80

Thank you for that. Reading should indeed be a habit hahaha :smiley:

(Marcos P) #81

some estimate of when the plugin is updated to the new header?

(Panteen Pro-V) #82

very cool plugin. I’d love to see if this can be merged with babble some how. I’d love to see these two plugins unified and resemble Facebook chat feature where it acts as group chat and private message as well.

(Angus McLeod) #83

@Rodelio_Lagahit @meglio @marcospreviato Hey folks. I just committed the conversion to the widgetized header. This required some significant changes, so please let me know any issues you find. Cheers.

There’s been a fair amount of discussion on this already (check above - I don’t have the link handy). Basically, Babble is a chat room. This plugin is messages (you can add multiple people to a message). This plugin is actually very similar to Facebook messages. Babble serves a different purpose. That said, if you have a specific proposal on how they should be merged, I’m open to ideas :slight_smile:

Help us test the new header code!
(| full stack virgin) #84

nice. ill have this up again in two of my discourse instance. will keep you posted for updates.

btw, this means that its already compatible with the new header right?

(Angus McLeod) #85

Yup! Fully widgetized now.

(| full stack virgin) #86

ic… too bad wont be able to appreciate it now coz discourse has a problem with mobile viewing. already updated though using my phone. ill check it with my laptop tom. im in the bar right now. :slight_smile:

(Tobias Eigen) #87

I just updated to try it out again, and it’s working nicely - great job, @angus! :rocket: This plugin is slick and does the job nicely!

Check out this screenshot - two things come to mind:

• would be nice to have a user preference to mute users from this list, like @system. (I just checked and muting system did not prevent these from showing on the message list)
  • seems there is a bug with @mentions near the beginning of posts, which shows up as html code.

(Angus McLeod) #88

Yeah, the same thing happens with images as well. Will fix soon!

Could you give me a scenario in which this would be useful? I’m just wondering about the user flow / concern here. Thanks.

(| full stack virgin) #90

working now… i added some css . :smiley:

good that it’s working now

(Tobias Eigen) #91

In my case, as the screenshot above shows, I get alot of automated messages that are not important.that then push down the ones that are important. They are already muted so I don’t get notifications but now they are showing up here until I go and delete them.

I am sure moderators and admins in other communities face the same kind of situation.

This plugin appears to be throwing an error for non-logged in users and stopping the header from rendering1. Can anyone else confirm?

Specifically, I’m getting errors from this (Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property ‘get’ of null):
var unreadPMs = helper.widget.currentUser.get('unread_private_messages');

Within: discourse/plugins/discourse-quick-messages/discourse/initializers/quick-messages-edits

Probably just returning early if there is no currentUser would fix it?

1. Upgraded yesterday, so its on the most recent versions.