Quick Messages Plugin

Ok thanks for the bug report. I’ll fix this after fixing the issue with topic list previews.

hm, I’ve seen this issue a while ago (in a previous version of the plugin), but I can’t seem to reproduce it now (here’s a screencast of me trying: http://quick.as/LeZoh6Dol).

I made a small tweak, but it’s just a guess.

https://github.com/angusmcleod/discourse-quick-messages/commit/05a7646c0959ae738e05927972428c1692cb27db

Can you reproduce it reliably? Are there are any errors in the console when it happens? Cheers.

3 Likes

It happens occasionally, so no reproduction steps, unfortunately.
No new errors in console when it happens.
When it happens, the only way to hide it is to reload the whole page.

I could no longer send quick message;

It keeps loading.

when you send it , no message appear. all the users are having the same problems.

1 Like

When sending message, I get this pop

@Rodelio_Lagahit @meglio Thanks for the bug reports guys. Trying to pin them down…

2 Likes

I think this is because of rate limiting. I can reproduce this error by posting quickly. I thought this would come up eventually :slight_smile:

One wat to ‘fix’ this immediately is by changing the create post rate limit.

However, this is not a permanent solution, as the limit is in there to prevent spam. I’ll try to remove the limit from quick messages only.

Removing the limit for quick messages is exposure to spam risk - please don’t do it. That’s why that setting is there. I’d recommend showing the same alert that would be shown to someone if they posted PM messages one after another too often.

The idea here is that if I configure the limit, no way I expect every plugin to respect it.

If you don’t like showing a warning, then create another setting with some reasonable default value. But don’t ignore the rate limit.

Yes, I’m not going to remove it entirely. I think I might try to create a new limit, set it at 1 or 2 seconds by default and let the user configure it in the settings.

1 Like

No probs. This is the only way I can help for this app to move forward. :smiley:

Our community has been using the plugin for ~1 week. People are extremely happy and they love this feature. It seems I’m not alone with such a feedback?

Looking forward for this plugin to migrate into the core codebase!

5 Likes

Even my users are happy with this change!
Staff should implement it as the official plugin!

3 Likes

@meglio @Roxelle @Rodelio_Lagahit Thanks guys.

I’ll get back to this plugin soon. Been busy with work and Topic List Previews.

3 Likes

One interesting thing is that some people thought that this new PM functionality had replaced the existing PMs. And they weren’t happy about it and asked me to bring the old PMs back.

Any ideas on how to make it more clear that this is an addition to the existing PM system rather than its replacement?

1 Like

After the latest upgrade, I can’t see a mail icon in the top right corner anymore.

You won’t. Discourse implemented an experimental new header, no plugin is working with it yet.

4 Likes

@meglio Looks like the header has been widgetized while I was away. I will migrate this plugin to the latest code in the next day or so.

Any ideas on how to make it more clear that this is an addition to the existing PM system rather than its replacement?

hm. A link to the ‘full’ message topic perhaps? I’m open to suggestions. So far I’ve modeled this on Facebook messages. I’ll have a quick look at how they might suggest this to users (if at all).

2 Likes

This is what I’m getting in my error logs:

My nav bard looks pretty much empty;

Any reason for this? Or suggested fix? Already removed/install it again and rebuild but I still can’t see the menu.

Check the post immediately above yours.

1 Like

Thank you for that. Reading should indeed be a habit hahaha :smiley:

2 Likes