Quick Messages Plugin

some estimate of when the plugin is updated to the new header?

2 Likes

very cool plugin. I’d love to see if this can be merged with babble some how. I’d love to see these two plugins unified and resemble Facebook chat feature where it acts as group chat and private message as well.

2 Likes

@Rodelio_Lagahit @meglio @marcospreviato Hey folks. I just committed the conversion to the widgetized header. This required some significant changes, so please let me know any issues you find. Cheers.

https://github.com/angusmcleod/discourse-quick-messages/commit/aa9e4e1e5e850bbf81397c5d4e59b6ae208d548d

There’s been a fair amount of discussion on this already (check above - I don’t have the link handy). Basically, Babble is a chat room. This plugin is messages (you can add multiple people to a message). This plugin is actually very similar to Facebook messages. Babble serves a different purpose. That said, if you have a specific proposal on how they should be merged, I’m open to ideas :slight_smile:

6 Likes

nice. ill have this up again in two of my discourse instance. will keep you posted for updates.

btw, this means that its already compatible with the new header right?

Yup! Fully widgetized now.

1 Like

ic… too bad wont be able to appreciate it now coz discourse has a problem with mobile viewing. already updated though using my phone. ill check it with my laptop tom. im in the bar right now. :slight_smile:

I just updated to try it out again, and it’s working nicely - great job, @angus! :rocket: This plugin is slick and does the job nicely!

Check out this screenshot - two things come to mind:

• would be nice to have a user preference to mute users from this list, like @system. (I just checked and muting system did not prevent these from showing on the message list)
  • seems there is a bug with @mentions near the beginning of posts, which shows up as html code.

1 Like

Yeah, the same thing happens with images as well. Will fix soon!

Could you give me a scenario in which this would be useful? I’m just wondering about the user flow / concern here. Thanks.

2 Likes

working now… i added some css . :smiley:

good that it’s working now

1 Like

In my case, as the screenshot above shows, I get alot of automated messages that are not important.that then push down the ones that are important. They are already muted so I don’t get notifications but now they are showing up here until I go and delete them.

I am sure moderators and admins in other communities face the same kind of situation.

1 Like

This plugin appears to be throwing an error for non-logged in users and stopping the header from rendering1. Can anyone else confirm?

Specifically, I’m getting errors from this (Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property ‘get’ of null):
var unreadPMs = helper.widget.currentUser.get('unread_private_messages');

Within: discourse/plugins/discourse-quick-messages/discourse/initializers/quick-messages-edits

Probably just returning early if there is no currentUser would fix it?

1. Upgraded yesterday, so its on the most recent versions.

3 Likes

Much appreciated @adrexia, this is fixed.

https://github.com/angusmcleod/discourse-quick-messages/commit/b60d39442c7809a56d8e174d3ba77582bb7e6ba2

3 Likes

nice plugin! :slight_smile:

for the rtl direction discourse, the message window opens from left, and it causes the whole menu to shift toward right. isn’t it possible for the window to open up from right?

tbh I didn’t even know Discourse had a rtl direction - but considering I’ve looked at your screenshots before, I should have noticed… I’ll have a look at this on the weekend :slight_smile:

3 Likes

With the lastest version of Discourse,

The chat message is behind the content

Will get back to this plugin tomorrow! (promise :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

make this group chat compatible or can be used as group chat hehehe :smiley:

I just:

• Made sure the html is cooked properly for widget rendering @tobiaseigen
  • Fixed the emoji menu (click event wasn’t hooked up properly)

https://github.com/angusmcleod/discourse-quick-messages/commit/fe0d438e3e9101bfa0cd21e9cb091a2496866689

3 Likes

The z-index issue is also fixed now.

https://github.com/angusmcleod/discourse-quick-messages/commit/0e4ce396e45329caaefe665ad771c3a408dd794d

2 Likes

@Pad_Pors hm this doesn’t happen to me when I change the html direction to rtl. Is there some kind of setting I need to hit to get the header to switch orientation as in your screenshot…?

1 Like