Quick Messages Plugin

This is cool!

Great job!

1 Like

yes, there is an option in the setting --> basic setup --> default locale
I changed the interface language from En to fa_IR. this will result automatically to a rtl direction, and you may not understand the local host after a refresh anymore! as the language changes to Persian.

Cool! However it’s still working :stuck_out_tongue:

How do I break it?

2 Likes

I installed this plugin and tried it out - seems to be working pretty flawlessly. Nice work! Some smallish issues I noticed:

• that little visual cue makes it look like you can drag up or down from the top of each message window to make it taller or shorter but you actually can’t
  • the down carat makes it look like you can minimize to the bottom of the page but it actually disappears, seems to work the same as the X.
  • the message chat windows could be much closer together, like on gchat.
  • dunno what would happen if you had 3 or 4 of them open at once. ah - they will start to disappear off the left side of the page. maybe limit how many can be opened, or close the last one opened first?

And one biggish one I just found out:

• the navigation seems to poke through the message windows

4 Likes

If you send a message smaller than “min private message post length”, you get an empty modal alert. Not sure if this is plugin’s or dicourse’s fault.

@tobiaseigen Thanks! Very useful.

@BadlyDrawnBoy Yup. Also, if you try to post with greater frequency than the rate limit set in your admin settings you will get an error. These are features of Discourse I need to tweak so that they make more sense for this context. These are next on my ‘feature’ list here (after some of the bugs mentioned above).

3 Likes

Two other things I noticed today:

• when I click on the quick messages envelope in the menu, it takes a while for the messages to show.

• if you just shared a URL or image, the message is blank and the next lines are black with any links in the summary blue. See screenshot. Not sure if there’s an answer to this.

2 Likes

it’s working well in my firefox, just as you showed.
and it’s showing this behavior in chrome:

i’m not sure if there’s anything wrong with my chrome, or what.

1 Like

Hi, great plugin, thanks for this, i have one bug:

I try fix but i can’t

only happens when I click on the message icon

1 Like

Sure, I’ll take a look.

2 Likes

hm, trying to reproduce this…could you paste the custom CSS you’re using for your site here.

1 Like

see here: http://vidaoverwatch.com

1 Like

hm, not happening for me on your site either. What browser are you using? I’m using Chrome.

1 Like

Vivaldi, Maxthon and Chrome

when I use the 1920x1080 resolution the bug happens here in my work the resolution is smaller and does not occur too!

hm still can repro it on your site or on my local. I’ve tried changing the resolution.

1. Show me the elements and their CSS in your browser when it occurs (i.e. in the chrome console).

2. Are using any extensions that affect the page css?

1 Like

i use some extensions, when you get home check better the problem and I will talk to you, thank you for your help! His work is fantastic! Thanks!

Fix this with:

.messages-menu {
margin-left: auto;
margin-right: auto;
margin-bottom: auto;
margin-top: auto;
}
.menu-links .new-message {
text-align: right;
right: -150px;
margin-right: auto;
margin-left: auto;
padding-right: auto;
margin-top: -40px;
}
//caixa de mensagens//
.messages-container {
position: absolute;
z-index: 999;
}

1 Like

I’ve just:

1. Removed system messages from the quick message list
  2. Removed new system messages from the message notification count
  3. Added system messages to the user notification count

https://github.com/angusmcleod/discourse-quick-messages/commit/739a4207529701c50339f4080c59ada4ade6371a

cc @tobiaseigen as per your initial request.

Note that this means you will still see notifications for system messages in the form of user notifications rather than as message notifications. For example a new user sees:

I’ve been trying to also remove non-system messages from the user notification list. Previously, I removed the messages from the user notification list by adding and removing observers to filter the notifications property in the SiteHeader component at the opportune time.

As the user notification list is now inside a widget, meaning observers are no longer available, I haven’t been able to find a way to filter it either on the client or the server, save from deleting those notifications on the server entirely, which would be dangerous. So the quick messages are going to continue to appear in the user notification list and the quick message list for now, albeit they don’t create notifications in the user notification list.

3 Likes

looks good - I’ll give it a test on kabissa. :rocket:

update: works like a charm! nice work.

2 Likes

Ok sure. Do you want to make a PR?

1 Like

hi angus, the plugin is fantastic, but today when rebuild app of my site the messages don’t show in menu, but in user info page the messages still here… You have any idea what can be?

it seems that I was the only one affected by this problem on my site, moderators and users continue with the messages appearing on the menu