Quotes pointing to deleted post gets stuck loading

Go to the following post:

Try load the full quote and you’ll get the Loading... text and it’ll stay there. You can’t toggle it back either; it’s stuck in that operation.

2 Likes

This is more or less by design… the only improvement would be for “loading…” to say “post was deleted” instead. So it’s a feature req.

1 Like

Well, clicking the toggle also gets you into an unrecoverable state (without refresh) where you can’t toggle back to the on-page quote. That’s a minor bug imo.

As for how to keep users from encountering it, I suppose the simplest fix of all would be to not display the toggle-arrow if the topic no longer exists.

Can’t know that until we check on click.

Okay, but the code can tell when the request failed, and go back to the original state. We could fix that.

4 Likes

This “issue” is still here on Meta (example in the OP of this topic https://meta.discourse.org/t/cross-origin-framing/26984) exactly as described by @erlend_sh

I think that new user can be really in difficult to understand what’s happening, the only way to see what is wrong is open the browser console and look at the error Not Found.

Change Loading... with This post was deleted, as @codinghorror said above, is a good compromise to me.

4 Likes

Sure can you make that change @eviltrout? This one is long overdue.

3 Likes

I think this was done? If I try as anonymous I get a trash icon instead.

3 Likes

Good ol’ @neil did it!

3 Likes

It seems that we have a sort of regression here, take a look to the embedded link How do I manually update Discourse and Docker image to latest? from Dean , there is displayed an infinite “loading”. It still works on simple quote that contains a link but not for linked topic/post deleted.

EDIT: Looking to the original post of this topic it seems that it won’t works with a link in a quote. It shows “loading” for less than 1 second but does not display the “trash” icon that indicates that the reference link/text has been deleted. In this case a normal user tends to click on the link in the quote and ends at page 404.

So it works with very simple text quote, without links inside.

2 Likes

Is this fixable easily @eviltrout? Maybe take a peek Monday.

1 Like

Looks like the bug was where the post was in a deleted topic (but the post was not deleted) it would return InvalidAccess instead of a 404. This fixes it and shows the trash can again.

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/89a1b34480e89e8dc1d47c749f08ed1225a173e4

3 Likes