Random Assign on Topic Creation?

I find it hard to believe that Discourse Automation cannot randomly assign a user from a group on topic creation in specific categories.

I worked with the support they seem to echo the same thing.

I went on to use the “Random Assign” script, and the Trigger can only be “Recurring/Point in Time.” I assumed may periodically, automation will assign a user to topics.

But then I see “Assigned Topic ID”. If there’s a single Topic ID I need to provide, I wonder what use case requires multiple people to be randomly be assigned to same topic in either Recurring/Point in Time?

2 Likes

Two scenarios:

1. A recurring task where the topic serves as a checklist for what to do, and
  2. A long term project requiring multiple assignments over time

Examples from my personal forums:

1. A checklist for cleaning the bathroom, assigned to random family member, and
  2. My kid and I taking turns importing and sorting our admittedly too large collection of Nintendo Switch media :sweat_smile: :video_game:

In either case, that automation supports those kinds of use cases. Random assign on topic creation? :thinking:

If it can’t be done currently, that would be a neat feature topic. :+1:

5 Likes

@maiki can we move this post to feature ? (asked for it last year on the plugin topic but the post disappeared)

The scenarios you mention are “usage-specific” whereas a random assignments of new topics (or even better, rolling assigments) seems like a usefull feature for any moderation team.

1 Like

Hey there !

I have a simple use case here: I want to automatically assign a random user of a group to each and every newly created topic on creation of the topic (discriminating by category would be a nice option as well).

2 Likes

No worries. :slightly_smiling_face: I also found it and moved it here for posterity. :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

4 Likes

Upping this, can anyone help automating this use case? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Happy new year y’all !

Still hangin’ for a solution. Is there any way I could contribute to prioritizing this?

Have you considered posting in marketplace? That is a sure fire way to get it done!

1 Like