Re-enabling Mobile View Tag Field

Sorry if this is the wrong category. I noticed here that tag entry on mobile view has been done but was suppressed due to space concerns.

This feature is actually pretty critical to my use case (a Discord bot uses tag RSS feeds to let several different groups initiate conversations with each other).

So if possible I’d really like to re-enable this in my own install somehow. Is this still in the source code somewhere? Is there a way I can turn this on?

1 Like

hello, i have an idea. @Blumiere

you may want to redesign or customize the composer field like the photos above. By taking half of the whole room of Category Field for Tags can solve the “problem” in a small-screen device. Shadow area for Category, lightgreen area for Tags.
Generally, phones have a bigger screen and higher resolustion than those in the passed. It is time to re-enable this feature officially. what do you think about this? @sam

I appreciate the mock-up but side by side is gonna be risky on a mobile device. What do you think @awesomerobot?

If a category required at least one tag for a topic creation, it makes impossible to open a topic in that category from mobile since the tag field has been removed.

1 Like

It hasn’t been removed, it has never been here (well I mean in the last year it wasn’t here anymore at least) AFAIK. What changed though is that tags can now be required. It’s on my list to make it available on mobile.

6 Likes

Oh, I see. Thank You.

@awesomerobot it’s actually a lot more a UI question than a technical question. Could you tell me how you would see this please?

2 Likes

I think this is the simplest thing to try first… we’ll end up truncating a lot of tags and long category names, but the dropdowns can still be full width and show all the content.

Otherwise… do we give up on jamming everything into the tiny space above the keyboard? maybe the mobile topic composer becomes a real (fully scrollable) page? In that case we could have the toolbar, a more obvious link to previewing, etc… we’re already half-abandoning the overlay on iOS to avoid scrolling issues.

8 Likes

This should now be working, please let me know how it goes.

6 Likes

Thanks! @joffreyjaffeux

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.