Re-order the dropdown options in user fields

When editing User Fields at /admin/customize/user_fields

How do I re-order the list?
My existing list is in alphabetical order, so I’m certain I’ve dragged or bumped items up and down the list when adding them previously, but today my additions have been added to the bottom of the list and I see no option to re-order them.

Pretty sure you have to delete “I do not have a Republic phone”, so the list is in the right order and add it again after

This is a truncated version of a fairly long list, so it would take a lot of deleting to get the Moto E5 play into the right spot.

If we add another Alcatel phone, I will have to delete and rebuild the entire list to get them all back in order?
Did I imagine being able to re-order items in this list previously?

Unfortunately I think that at the moment there is no alternative.

Ordering them before compiling the list is an excellent move.

2 Likes

Okay, thank you for the response. That saves me from further hunting for something that can’t be done.

This particular list changes constantly.

If you happen to be looking for a feature request… :smiley_cat:

I know it’s not perfect, but we decided to hold on reordering for now. In the meantime you can do this in few seconds with mostly only keyboard:

The trick is that you just have to leave something in the field.

3 Likes

Thanks @joffreyjaffeux! I’m not sure I have the mental capacity to juggle so many items when I have to add a new item in spot number 10 of a 30-item list, but that’s definitely a great tip!

I went old-school this time and reordered the list from a printed (yes, on paper!) copy! Now, if I could just find a stapler…

I move the topic on feature then.

3 Likes

I’m adding a native language custom field for my site and I was wondering if there is anyway to re-organize user fields so I don’t have to delete them and re-add them to put them in alphabetical order for easy selection. I’m only adding fields as our community grows larger, which means that the languages will be increasingly hard to find on the drop down list if it’s not listed in alphabetical order.

Also, going along with that, is there a sort of conditional logic feature for custom user fields? So my members could for example select a language that they speak, and if they select a language, then there is another field next to it where they can select their proficiency.

I’m wondering if there’s been any solutions to this issue?

We have a required custom user field that’s a dropdown with approximately 200 options. While we don’t need to update the list too terribly frequently, it is still a pain whenever it needs to be done. Having the option to rearrange the options would be a huge timesaver.

1 Like

I’m afraid there is still no option to sort the lists after creation :frowning: It does seem like a nice improvement to have, especially for big lists.

I did find this existing feature topic though, and I’ve slipped the posts over to group the requests together. :+1: (strength in numbers :slight_smile: :crossed_fingers:)

2 Likes