Read only subscription forums on DiscourseHub and connect button

Out there are forums that allow reading, but otherwise those are subscription-based. I can open such forum from DiscourseHub, but that blue connect button is unnecessary, and when muscle memory kicks in, my finger/mouse hits that.

Is there any possibility to hide it?

I know, not a biggie at all. But subscription models are growing.

And what to do if someday one wants to pay the subscription fee and needs the connect button? I don’t know, I’m just another end user :joy:

5 Likes

Oh, I know exactly what you mean. I like to keep some forums on my app as well that I just want to scan from time to time. Seeing all those “Connect” buttons is annoying.

But, as you say, the problem is: what if one day you decide to want to finally click “Connect”?

I have an idea for a solution though. We can add a system where “Connect” is not shown in the list if a site was added to the home screen more than 1 week ago. We can show a “Connect” button in the swip left state, next to the trash icon, for the users that one day would like to finally “Connect”. We can also improve the connect story from the login button in the site.

I’ll do some work on this shortly, thanks for the idea and the nudge!

4 Likes

@Jagster I’ve got a new beta of the app out with a solution for this. You can join the beta using this link: Join the Discourse Hub beta - TestFlight - Apple

All non-logged-in sites in DiscourseHub will get a new button behind the swipe gesture. It looks like this:

The “Connect” button is still shown for the first 3 days that a site is present on the list.

2 Likes

After one minutes testing it looks nice.

1 Like

Great! There’s a couple more goodies in the beta, if you swipe the other way on a site, from left to right.

Yeah, I found them. I don’t care so much about /hot because /latest is hot enough for me. But direct access to chat was great.

1 Like