Recommended Hosting Providers for Self Hosters

It doesn’t fit all, but fits most small/new communities. I don’t recommend it, but at least some of the installs that I have done “just worked”, with no upgrades or anything for a year or more.

This page on my site attempts to answer some of your questions: https://www.literatecomputing.com/discourse-self-hosting-faq/

No. If you click the " Click here to purchase a self-supported community install." link on the https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/docs/INSTALL-cloud.md page, you are linked to my site, not Discourse.org. I took over that installation service from Discourse in October of 2016.

3 Likes

Okay, I understand. Not confusing but it does says “the community can install…” (So I take it that is you then. :slightly_smiling_face:)

Here’s what the page reads for this, so basically what I said above is correct. Guess I should have hovered over that link and it would have showed your website. :wink:

“Alternatively, the community can install Discourse in the cloud for you for a flat one-time fee of $99. Please note that a $5/month hosting fee is still payable to the cloud provider (Digital Ocean), and that this option is completely self-support after the initial install. Click here to purchase a self-supported community install.

2 Likes

Right! I just wanted to make it clear that I am not, and do not work, for discourse.org.

1 Like

That’s fine, Jay. You are part of the community. :wink: :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Some stats for a host I setup recently:

Evolution Host, €10, 40GB SSD, 2 CPU, 2 GB RAM, 7m23s build time, US (3), CA, UK, DE, FR, PL, AU

(build had the plugins: docker_manager, discourse-bbcode, discourse-spoiler-alert, discourse-push-notifications, discourse-checklist, discourse-topic-previews, discourse-follow) More at Self-hosting migration example — VPS to VPS

4 Likes

I’m a Hetzner user.
I host https://unicyclist.com on a CPX31 (4 vCPU, 8 GB RAM, 160 SSD). I sometimes rent servers for very short durations when I need to do some tests, as they are billed hourly.

Name vCPUs RAM SSD Traffic Price / hour Price / month (VAT included)
CX11 1 2 GB 20 GB 20 TB €0.0071 / h €4.51
CPX11 2 2 GB 40 GB 20 TB €0.0084 / h €5.18
CX21 2 4 GB 40 GB 20 TB €0.0104 / h €6.37
CPX21 3 4 GB 80 GB 20 TB €0.0143 / h €8.98
CX31 2 8 GB 80 GB 20 TB €0.0182 / h €11.54
CPX31 4 8 GB 160 GB 20 TB €0.0251 / h €16.18
CX41 4 16 GB 160 GB 20 TB €0.0340 / h €20.71
CPX41 8 16 GB 240 GB 20 TB €0.0496 / h €29.99
CX51 8 32 GB 240 GB 20 TB €0.0653 / h €39.15
CPX51 16 32 GB 360 GB 20 TB €0.1047 / h €64.33

Since 2 CPU are recommended for discourse, I guess the CPX11 can be a good choice for a small community instead of the CX21?

10 Likes

Try these Providers from Germany with cheap prices:

www.netcup.com < company by anexia.com (my favorite)
www.contabo.com
www.linevast.de
www.hosteurope.de
www.webtropia.com < awesome prices, check it out

3 Likes

I just checked Webtropia quickly. Prices don’t seem more awesome than with others (Contabo for example). But can you run Docker with they virtualization ? They offer containers by default, not KVM VPS. It seems, you have to add 5 EUR/month for that. Not sure you can run discourse with their containers (did you try it ?)

1 Like

You can choose betwen a container or full virtualization, and on the netcup, docker works tho.

1 Like

Hi, I think you should explore and consider adding Render.com to this list. Thanks.

Can you say something about the service? Have you used them? What does it cost for what specs?

2 Likes

Sorry, I have only played a bit with it, but it’s very easy to use and pricing is very good. They see themselves as a modern Heroku. They might even help out create a guide for running Discourse.

2 Likes

Have you installed Discourse there? From the pricing page it’s not clear that they have an offering that would support Discourse.

3 Likes

No I haven’t sorry. That’s why I suggest that someone who knows about the stuff checks it out. I have the feeling it’s possible.

I’ll throw IONOS into the ring here. We have 2 discourse sites now up and running on a Cloud S and a Cloud L server. The cloud L performs better of course and is a max of $24 per month. Pricing at IONOS is done by hours of running as usual and is more expensive no doubt. The cloud L is 2 vCPUs, 4GB of ram and 80GB of space at 0.0333 per hour to a max of $24 per month.

You get $100 of credit to get up and running and that helps initial costs of configuration.

Thanks to @pfaffman installation service we were able to get up and running quickly.

One interesting hiccup was that by default IONOS cloud servers don’t allow incoming email traffic. I changed the firewall policies in IONOS cloud panel and added common email ports to allow inbound email traffic to flow. Here are the firewall settings in cloud panel:

The servers come with an optional Plesk obsidian install ($5 per month extra) which helps configure and add services like docker. It also helps to configure users domains and lots of other custom monitoring and service management.

3 Likes

This took a while to debug, though it’s not entirely uncommon. For a novice, it’s not easy to figure out.

I recommend not using Plesk, as it caused several problems getting things working.

We got it to work, but the extra steps required in getting things configure make me not recommend IONOS unless you have some other reason to use them.

3 Likes

The reason why I use them is I have all my shared hosting, domains and other stuff there. It’s just history I guess and I do like their support so far. It’s been reliable.

Was it because of Plesk that the problems occurred or IONOS cloud itself?

2 Likes

And that’s a good reason to use them!

It was all of it. Plesk, the blocked incoming mail port, and I think a couple other things that made the DNS tricky that I don’t remember. It’s why the extra $100 (which I think seems like a lot) for a custom server is what I have to charge.

2 Likes

Hopefully it made your scripts that much better. Eventually you may have scripts for all major hosts and recommendations!

2 Likes

ssdNodes has been rock solid. They have very little customer service, but email tickets are answered in 5 minutes - about an hour. Service has been totally dependable for years and very inexpensive.

All cpu’s are shared and they oversell the heck out of their reseller service, always acting like everything is on a countdown timer when it is just their basic pricing. [I need to look through notes to find where they are hosted out of]. If you can live with the caveats, and are technically proficient enough to solve your own problems, they are good for Discourse hosting.

1 Like