Recommended Hosting Providers for Self Hosters

This seems to be contradictory with what you state just after that.

Honestly, their pricing almost seems “to good to be true”, especially the promos … on timers, as you said.
They claim to use KVM. CPU ressources are not shared with KVM. It is the case with OpenVZ, but not with KVM. There are some negative reviews out there. Some claiming that it works quite well at the beginning, but not over the long run. And the good prices are when you prepay for 3 years. Some review also talk of poor performance compared to the announced specs.

I have to admit these prices with 3 years prepayment are tempting, but a little scary (and lowering prices quite a bit for long term engagements are sometimes not a very good sign). When it’s too good to be true, it probably is. Since how long are you with them?

1 Like

Just hitting 3 years. We had low expectations, but it has been okay so far. Been nice to learn system administration. We’re lucky to have a number of knowledgeable volunteers. We got a 24gb ssd system which runs a number of services in addition to Discourse. Honestly, never recommended publicly due to their marketing… but now that our contract is ending we are happy to continue on.

2 Likes

Is there any increase in price from what you have been paying to what you will be paying with a new contract? Do they tie you in for another 3-year contract or do they have 1-year and/or monthly billing available?

1 Like

The prices have actually continued to slowly go down, especially around the holidays. This is most likely tied to them trying to encourage nvme servers (shrug) in the last year. Main thing is they will not change your contract afaik, so you cannot say “switch me to this new deal”. You just pay for the new server contract and migrate yourself.

Clarification: the prices and exact contract you agreed to are persistent, until you stop paying.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: What else do I need to take care of when self hosting?

Scaleway.com should be on this list, imho. (if not, any reason?)

Is it worth making the OP a Wiki?

4 Likes

Maybe so. This is getting old. Digital ocean now has a new faster offering as well.

4 Likes

I made it a wiki @merefield @pfaffman – great suggestion :beers:

4 Likes

Firstly, this is a great post by @pfaffman and there are many excellent contributions along the way so thankyou one and all.

I’m considering setting up my own discourse and I’m wondering if the concerns mentioned regarding Digital Ocean still apply (I live in Sydney, Australia)

Also, if anyone can recommend a Hosting Provider they have used in Australia, that might be useful (or is this something unimportant?)

Many thanks to the Discourse community :heartpulse:

2 Likes

I am in Johannesburg, South Africa and I have no issues with DO.

I would highly recommend it and if you want a link to get your first month free, then DM me.

1 Like

I think there’s also a free trial with $100 credit for 60 days too.

1 Like

Thankyou @IAmGav and @JammyDodger, I am much obliged for the advice and offers :heartpulse:

2 Likes

If you need help, shout.

But it’s very easy and simple :blush:

2 Likes

If you’re going to use mailgun and digital ocean, I’m testing a new tool that does installs and rebuilds. It’s free during testing. https://www.pfaffmanager.com/

6 Likes

We were on UpCloud for many years. They provided us with excellent uptime (I recall one incident at FRA DC - it was well communicated to customers) and a highly reponsive 24/7 support channel.

But since we were commercially affiliated with them, I dont’t dare to add it straight to your wiki.

Overall a top notch service provider, in terms of performance and reliability.

2 Likes

Does this tool do similar installation as the Lite Install from literatecomputing.com?

2 Likes

Right now, It’ll do the Standard (with plugins and mail receiver) and professional (two-container).

2 Likes

Thanks! looking forward testing it.

2 Likes

This table will be updated soon:

https://docs.hetzner.com/general/others/price-adjustment

Energy prices from suppliers have risen drastically since the end of last year. This phenomenon has been affecting people and industries across the globe. And since prices are not likely to drop or stabilize in the near future, we are forced to increase the prices of many of our products by approximately 10%. In addition, we also unfortunately need to implement a serious increase to the electricity/air conditioning rates for our colocation products.

Starting on 1 September 2022, you will be able to see the new prices for new orders on our website. For existing products affected by the change, we will send customers an email with detailed information in the fourth quarter of 2022.

Do you guys also had recent (or heard announcements about) price increases with other hosting companies?

2 Likes

DigitalOcean has increased prices across their lineup and is no longer $5/mo

I’m sure others are to follow as well.

cc @pfaffman

4 Likes