Registering/Responding with Blog Integration

Hi Everyone,

I am exploring integrating Discourse within various blogs (mainly Wordpress).

From what I understand the comments displayed under the post (e.g. on Jeff’s site) will be from the topic on the forum, but there is no way to (a) register from within the post, and (b) reply/add a new comment. In other words, to actively participate, the user is required to go to the forum.

Are there any plans to be able to stay entirely within the context of the post?

If so, Discourse would essentially replace Disqus which I think could be incredible.

Final question - if there are no current plans, would this be a complex piece of work to do?

No. The point on Discourse is bringing the users to your community.

Depends on the level of integration you want. You want a simple pure text area posted in a dummy account? You want to replicate the entire editor, quote, oneboxing, etc… ?

I think this would be doing that, but it would essentially provide different views in which people can participate. My worry about the current implementation is that I think there will be a high bounce rate when people are expected to go to a forum to sign and contribute.

If the current implementation had the following two features it would solve my use case:

1. If the user is not logged in, they can log in and sign-up from within the post (showing the usual model for sign-up/log in).
  2. When they are logged in there is a composer at the bottom of the comments where they can contribute to the discussion.

Of course, it would also be great to show related discussions so they can go to the forum, but I think the above two features would make the switch to Discourse in blogs much more compelling.

I really recommend this read:

I do not, and will not, offer in-page commenting here. If you want to reply with a comment, you go next door to the community clubhouse. There’s a fairly strong, but permeable, membrane between the editorial area here and the community area there. This is intentional.
Source: Please Read The Comments

1 Like

Thanks for the link. @codinghorror - I am curious, why do you feel there should be the membrane between the blog and forum?

I understand and agree with everything in that post but curious why you feel the separation is important.

On that page:

You do want some “toddler sized” barriers in front of commenting. Otherwise you get an influx of the bored people who really don’t care about your community or anyone there. Commenting – and joining communities – should be a little bit of work to keep out the people who don’t care.

3 Likes