Registration and Test Emails constantly going to Spam via Mailgun

@codinghorror Any recommendation to get rid of unflagging the domain and how to check it? Also, one of the user was able to receive registration confirmation email through gmail ID. May be somehow I’m getting all emails to spam due to my IP issue? Can you try registering from your end using a gmail ID and check if its working there?

I did already. Here’s what Mailgun support replied finally.

Unfortunately, Mailgun cannot troubleshoot email delivery once Mailgun has successfully delivered the messages to the recipient email server. Whenever a “delivered” event occurs in the logs, this means that the recipient server has accepted the message from Mailgun and returned a “Success” message back to Mailgun. Therefore, we are unable to track what happens to a message once we hand the message off and receive this response.

You will need to follow up with Google, unfortunately… good luck with that.

It might be easier to change your domain name, to be honest.

1 Like

Its a bad news :frowning: Are you sure there’s no issues with DigitalOcean and MailGun?

Can you find the mail headers at gmail and try to find out what is the reason for the mail being marked as spam?

original_msg.txt (60.6 KB)

Here’s the original message so you can have a look. I’m not sure what to check on header to find out an issue.

I just did a test here: https://app.glockapps.com and found mailgun is the reason for why email is going to spam. It shows sendgrid emails sent directly to inbox to 4 major emails like gmail, outlook, yahoo, office 365, hotmail and amazon workmail.

Do you guys suggest to test with sendgrid?

2 Likes

Excellent research. Switching mail services is probably easier than switching your domain name, but we have used Mailgun in the past without deliverability issues, so this is not a systemic problem that I’m aware of.

1 Like

Thank you! I understand Mailgun is reputed and I’ve been trying to stick with them. What could be the reason of this issue? Is that can be solved with a dedicated IP on Mailgun?

2 Likes

I don’t personally think the situation is as extreme as getting to buy a dedicated IP. maybe try asking them to just assign you to a different IP (I really doubt that’d help as sending IP’s reputation is fine. )

2 Likes

Thanks to you guys for helping me out. Finally, we solved the email delivery with Sparkpost and removed Mailgun :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Did you look at the header of an email that went to spam?

Mailgun won’t have been the issue and it’s impossible to look at your configuration to find where it was breaking down now that you’ve moved, but the header should include the proverbial smoking gun.

2 Likes

Actually, I don’t know what was the issue with Mailgun configuration and but I did everything right and got 10/10 score on mail-tester.com. You can check the current email header and I’ve uploaded earlier mailgun email header on this thread to compare: Registration and Test Emails constantly going to Spam via Mailgun

If you can help me to figure out then it will be a experiment to me and all others to get the right place fixing the header or other configuration.

2 Likes

@itsbhanusharma How to know what IP address mailgun has assigned us? I am trying to find it at my mailgun domain settings but unable to figure out. Please assist!!

1 Like

Got it, found it in LOGS of my domain name and it says the email reputation is good but still mails are going to SPAM.

1 Like

Contact mailgun for spam related issues, it isn’t related to Discourse.

4 Likes

Sometimes mail tester can provide some good informations on what’s wrong : http://www.mail-tester.com/

Mail Tester gives you an address to send an email. Go to /admin/email of your forum and send a test email to the adress they gave you.

Wait a few seconds and you’ll have some good infos and guidance to have a better score.

4 Likes

Same problem… Mail-tester shows a 10/10 score, but the activation emails go directly to spam folder in gmail… We are using Google Compute Engine and Mailgun.

1 Like

That implies the email server IP address has a bad mailing reputation, or less likely, the domain name in the email.

1 Like

I’ve switched from MailGun to SendGrid. The problem still exists…

Spam Test Result this is our results from mail-tester, after we switched to sendgrid the problem still exists. Is there any info you can get from these results to provide some improvement suggestion?

1 Like