Registration and Test Emails constantly going to Spam via Mailgun

@itsbhanusharma How to know what IP address mailgun has assigned us? I am trying to find it at my mailgun domain settings but unable to figure out. Please assist!!

1 Like

Got it, found it in LOGS of my domain name and it says the email reputation is good but still mails are going to SPAM.

1 Like

Contact mailgun for spam related issues, it isn’t related to Discourse.

4 Likes

Sometimes mail tester can provide some good informations on what’s wrong : http://www.mail-tester.com/

Mail Tester gives you an address to send an email. Go to /admin/email of your forum and send a test email to the adress they gave you.

Wait a few seconds and you’ll have some good infos and guidance to have a better score.

4 Likes

Same problem… Mail-tester shows a 10/10 score, but the activation emails go directly to spam folder in gmail… We are using Google Compute Engine and Mailgun.

1 Like

That implies the email server IP address has a bad mailing reputation, or less likely, the domain name in the email.

1 Like

I’ve switched from MailGun to SendGrid. The problem still exists…

Spam Test Result this is our results from mail-tester, after we switched to sendgrid the problem still exists. Is there any info you can get from these results to provide some improvement suggestion?

1 Like

How old is the domain? How long has this instance been installed?

2 Likes

The domain is pretty old, but the subdomain for the forum is brand new. The forum is installed a few days ago…

1 Like

Have you ever used the domain to send email before now?

1 Like

My guess would be the spam trigger word “credit” in the domain name.

1 Like

We used Mailchimp to send some emails for subscribers of our blog. But the forum subdomain is new and we have never done anything yet.

1 Like

It’s not uncommon for new mail domains to end up in junk. If SPF and DKIM are in place I find it takes a day or two for GMail to stop junkmailing it.

2 Likes

It’s so frustrating… Now we found yahoo will just reject the activation emails, even worse than going to spam folder…

421 4.7.0 [TSS04] Messages from xxx.xx.xxx.xx temporarily deferred due to user complaints - 4.16.55.1; see https://help.yahoo.com/kb/postmaster/SLN3434.html

1 Like

Yahoo is particularly notorious for silently discarding emails they don’t like. You should follow the URL provided by Yahoo in that message and troubleshoot – this is not a Discourse issue.

3 Likes

In the end, we changed the service to Google G Suite to successfully send emails to inbox!

3 Likes

Mails are still going to Google’s SPAM folder.
IP reputation is fine, Mail-Tester is giving 10/10 score, Sometime mails are reaching at INBOXes of Private Emails (sometimes) but not reaching everytime at Gmails. Has Google BlackListed my domain? I have tried mentioning mails as Not as Spam at my Google Mails and after 2 attempts, mails are reaching into Gmail Inbox but after deleting the same conversation/mail thread, mails are going back to spam. Any suggestions please?

1 Like

Yes, if you have cleared the mail server IP as good reputation (not on any blacklists via the checkers), and checked with mail-tester … then it’s likely the other unique piece of content in the email – your domain name – which is causing the spam detectors to trigger.

1 Like

Google typically doesn’t allow relaying from their accounts for transactional email and has per-hour and per-day sender limits. That’s why they aren’t on the list of recommended providers.

Be very careful as if they flag your emails you will lose all ability to send messages from that domain.

1 Like

Looking at your mail test results, it says you mail failed the DMARC verification. That may simply be from modifying your DNS and just requires a little wait time.

Mail-tester says your domain is not blacklisted.

Also, you do not have a List-Unsubscribe header which they say is required for sending mass emails. That was shown by the orange check box. Has Google made a change requiring this?

Related message from mail-tester below:

Your message does not contain a List-Unsubscribe header

The List-Unsubscribe header is required if you send mass emails, it enables the user to easily unsubscribe from your mailing list.

Your message does not contain a List-Unsubscribe header