Removing the legacy hamburger navigation menu option

also, if you are having some issues with terms for the interface for user guidance and support, there is a Names of user interface elements in Discourse and Discourse New User Guide

3 Likes

ā€œHamburgerā€ is developer jargon. The customer-facing name of an icon menu is whatever its tooltip says, but in this case, thatā€™s just ā€œmenu,ā€ so thereā€™s another UI / UX issue.

The word ā€œhamburgerā€ does not appear in the Discourse New User Guide, which is good.

1 Like

According to whom? You seem to strongly think that, but I donā€™t know where you get this idea from.
IMHO, it is a broadly accepted term, including among users, as @Lilly already suggested above.

Please do a few web searches around the term, and youā€™ll see for yourself.
You can have a look at its wikipedia page too: Hamburger button - Wikipedia
If you prefer, you can call it ā€œtriple barā€ button/menu.

3 Likes

I did a very scientific study consisting of interviewing subjects in two age cohorts (Gen X, Gen Z)[1] Zero percent of those interviewees had heard of the term. When shown an example, the Gen Z cohort responded with ā€œoh, that makes senseā€, while the Gen X group found the whole thing even more confusing.

1. Sample size of one per group. Specifically, my wife and daughter. ā†©ļøŽ

5 Likes

I appreciated the heads up. The new menu isnā€™t quite to my taste yet (I appreciated the chunkier look of its predecessor, preferring the two column approach) but definitely has some useful functionality and I appreciate the implementation gets you off the widget API.

Except imho, the slightly clunky ā€œdrop down within a drop-downā€ which covers the other options instead of expanding. Not a fan. Is there a slightly slicker way to achieve a similar thing?

Btw Discourse without the Hamburger would be Paris without the Eiffel tower :sweat_smile:. I think itā€™s ok to have some domain specific terms and a bit of personality.

5 Likes

If you say so. But not in Finland. And all of my US-friends who donā€™t work in this area use term hamburger.

2 Likes

One problem with the term ā€œhamburger menuā€ is that sometimes it mutates into what I might call ā€œthree dots menuā€. Itā€™s not a good term, where fashion changes, and people from different age cohorts have different cultural references. Try helping out some people in their 70s and 80s.

Good or bad, itā€™s there. And that is one reason why familiar solutions should never change without really good reasons ā€” three dots at same place where practically every site uses hamburger is not such reason ā€” it would be a change because of change itself.

Situation would be totally different if layout and ways how to use sites would change drastically.

Butā€¦ why are we discussing if name hamburger is valid for one menu? Iā€™m bored and procastinating, but what is excuse for all others or you :wink:

2 Likes

Do you have an estimated date for this? Even ā€œat some point after 30th juneā€ or something similar would be a useful estimate to plan around.

2 Likes

Documentation should refer to icon menus by their tooltips. E.g. the magnifying glass is Search. To make things clear, you can include the dingbat, e.g. ā€œ:mag: (Search)ā€.

The tooltip for Discourseā€™s ā‰” menu is just ā€œmenu,ā€ so you could refer to it as ā€œā‰” (menu)ā€.

Iā€™m a tech writer and part of my job is keeping developer jargon out of customer-facing docs. ā€œHamburgerā€ for ā‰” and ā€œkebabā€ for ā‹® are jargon.

2 Likes

In a recent change, we removed the ā€œmoreā€ link from the dropdown menu and have all the links displayed by default.

Screenshot from 2023-05-23 11-25-09

4 Likes

@craigconstantine @mattdm Weā€™ve recently worked on a solution that adds sidebar compatibility for the category icons theme such that the custom category icons set will be used in the dropdown menu when a category is displayed.

In the long run though, we are discussing internally to make custom category and tag icons a first class Discourse feature. Once that happens, the category icons and tag icons theme components will no longer be required.

13 Likes

Great, thanks!!

3 Likes

Why arenā€™t the Categories title and the Tag title a link to the relevant pages? That seems like a missed opportunity. If you donā€™t configure any Tags there is no way to get to the Tags page. Thatā€™s not good!

2 Likes

i suspect itā€™s because in side-bar mode, those headers collapse and expand when clicked. iā€™ve been thinking about this myself and i would prefer if the headers linked to those pages (categories / tags) and arrows collapse/ expand, but that wouldnā€™t make sense for the other sidebar section headers (although i suppose Community could just go to the userā€™s default home page). i guess things can be programmed to be different in hamburger drop down mode, and it does make sense to have those sections linked there. :woman_shrugging:

iā€™ve also thought that it would a cool option to let users choose between side-bar or drop down mode in their preferences.

5 Likes

of course, good point!

3 Likes
3 Likes

this post is outdated now and there has since been an update - the review link is not dropping into More section the way it did before (or perhaps depending on where it is placed in the customization modal?). i like this and so do my mods. thank you team.

heh i see this recent fix too: :grin:

3 Likes

@here Do note that weā€™ve made some changes to the plan here based on feedback which weā€™ve received. Instead of dropping the legacy navigation menu in the upcoming release, we will only be removing it in the release after. However, support for the legacy navigation menu will be ceased from the next release onwards.

10 Likes

Just to (hopefully) clarify a bit further, since ā€œnext releaseā€ could mean a few different things, and people can update their software any time, including between releases.

We had been planning to remove this before the v3.1 release that weā€™re planning to make towards the end of this month (July 2023), but now we plan to remove the legacy option shortly thereafter, leading up to one of the first beta releases for v3.2. This could happen as early as sometime in August.

7 Likes