Category Icons

:discourse2: Summary Category Icons allows category badge links to have icons next to the category name.
:hammer_and_wrench: Repository Link https://github.com/discourse/discourse-category-icons
:open_book: New to Discourse Themes? Beginner’s guide to using Discourse Themes

Install this theme component

Features

:information_source: This theme component is used alongside the Category Badge Styles theme component

Here is an example of how this would look, with category badge style set to none:

Here is how this would look with category badge style set to box:

Configuration is pretty straightforward:

Note that this component also lets you override the category lock icon used to denote private categories.

:information_source: See also the Tag Icons component (which does the same thing for tags).

Settings

Name Description
category icon list The list of categories and their respective icons
svg icons Add extra icons not included by default
category lock icon The icon to replace the ‘category lock icon’
  • To add an icon to a category, enter the details separated by commas like so “slug,icon,color,match”
  • Colour is in the format #123456, or “categoryColor” to use the default color for the category (same as the Badge color)
  • If match is “partial” then the slug need only partially match the category-slug, otherwise an exact match is required.

Issues

• Does not correctly respect the icon color when using with the bullet category style. In general, though, this shouldn’t be used with the bullet or bar category styles as the UI would be unnecessarily busy.

Development history

Thanks to @rogerco, for adding the “partial” keyword to partially match category slugs (i.e. entering “book,icon,red,partial” would match all category slugs containing “book”). :trophy: :clap:

:discourse2: Hosted by us? Theme components are available to use on our Standard, Business, and Enterprise plans.

81 Likes

This component has had an impact on our forum in an artistic way. I like it.

However there is a problem with category names. I created a category with the name of “Doğa Bilimleri”, but later changed its name to “Bilim” and created a sub-category with the name of “Doğa Bilimleri”.

Before:
Before

After:
After

I only assigned an icon for the category of “Doğa Bilimleri”, not for “Bilim”.

doga-bilimleri-flask

But the flask icon has been assigned for both “Bilim” and its sub-category “Doğa Bilimleri”.

Flask-assigned-for-both

I cannot also assign an icon to a category whose name I change if I use the new name of it, yet the old name always works. (I solved this one: This is all about “category slug”. If you leave the category slug with the old name, you will experience same pseudo-problem.)

Edit: I figured out why the flask icon is assigned for the main category. It is because both the main category and the sub-category include same word “Bilim”. Even if I give a random name like “abcdefbilimghjk” in the category icon list, it will still assign the icon I choose to the category “Bilim”, since the random name includes the word “bilim”.

abcdefbilimghjk

5 Likes

Hi Emre, thanks for the report, I’ve now fixed the issue with loose matching of slugs. If you update the theme, it should be resolved, “abcdefbilimghjk” will no longer apply the icon to the “bilim” slug.

8 Likes

It’s been perfectly resolved. Thanks for the update :+1:

6 Likes

This is an awesome component! Works great on my site! ty for doing this :smiley:!awe

6 Likes

Can I use this icon as “js”?

Only bash has the icon, the others has an emty space.

What do I miss?

1 Like

Have a look here to learn how to use new font awesome icons

4 Likes

Thanks, but how that breaks down to using this component as a plugin user?

Should I wait for something to merge to master before I can use the plugin?

Or did I misunderstand the method to define how can I specify my font awesome icons?

1 Like

Use fab-js instead of js in both fields since it’s a brand icon and FA groups brand icons separately.

Same for the Java icon, though you should be on tests-passed for that to work, because the Java icon was added to FontAwesome recently.

4 Likes

Can this component be extended to support custom made svg icons?

2 Likes

Custom SVG icons are already supported in plugins, see Introducing Font Awesome 5 and SVG icons for details. Custom SVG icon support in themes is in the works.

8 Likes

Thank you for quick response. I will look into it.

1 Like

First, a big thank you to @pmusaraj for making this great theme-component.

I have configured it on my site, but have two issues:

There seems to be no way I can “attach” any icon to Jadran category
I have tried with various icons, even the ones that are working on other categories with no success.

Configuration is the same as for other categories:

It seems that pull-downs in category view, does not respect the icon color (white).
Here it looks the worst - gray on gray.

Elsewhere, white color is respected:

1 Like

I have an idea, why “Jadran” does not work: I have another category “Jadranje”, which includes first name. I would expect that slug would be checked with exact match (everything between /), right?

1 Like

In the URL you posted https://pojalabanda.com/c/potovanja/jadran, I see the icon next to Jadran.

I do see the style issue, it’s something that’s been recently introduced, I’ll look for a solution.

4 Likes

Yes, I got idea for workaround: have replaced the order of “rules” in the config, so that longer name is after shorter:

It works now!

Thanks for checking the problem and for confirming style issue.

3 Likes

Is there a possibility to upload own svg icon and then use it as category icon? I tried to upload it on Category icons upload, but not sure how should I reference it?

Or am I completely on wrong track here?

2 Likes

It’s slightly different, you need to upload an svg sprite. See this:

6 Likes

I have pushed a fix for the style issue in core: https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/8d098df289cc75270ae6ff08be55bb033f44b3e5

Once this passes tests, you need to rebuild your app, icon colors should then respect the badge color.

6 Likes

Do you have any plans to extend this to the sub-category boxes Penar? Would be awesome to have them everywhere. My site looks great with all these icons now, appreciate this!

5 Likes