Rename @discobot's start new user command

I think he was referring to Jeff’s suggestion a synonym be created. @codinghorror is the ultimate authority on this kind of thing.

1 Like

I’m a fan of the synonym but I am not sure it would be worth a bunch of extra engineering work.

Actually I kind of think that @debryc’s suggestion of start tutorial is way better than the start new user that we have now. The latter seems incomplete and perhaps we should just rename the default trigger? I’m not really keen on supporting synonyms here because the customization option is already there.

5 Likes

That is fine, I support that, what would the advanced start look like?

start tutorial and start advanced tutorial make the most sense to me, as @debryc said in the OP :wink:

5 Likes

The default triggers have been updated.

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/41f4f9302ddf28e696da21ac521f4636e33cd392

Thank you for the suggestion @debryc :+1:

9 Likes

And thank you for the update!

1. Will the “start new user” command still work in the future?

2. This is my updated welcome message! I’m very happy with what this discussion produced for my community. Thank you again everyone.

Hi and welcome to %{site_name}!

Start by learning all about your new community at First time here? Welcome! 👋🏽 - Announcements - #NYCEDU.

P.S. %{new_user_tips}

For even more tips, click to start our interactive new user tutorial.

Enjoy!

And here’s a screenshot of the window that pops up when users click on the link.

Nope, that has been removed in favor of start tutorial.

4 Likes

I remember a similar discussion long ago and I think I remember that the problem with

start tutorial

Is that it is not 20 characters. But they are both 14 characters (if I can count), so I must be thinking of something else.

2 Likes

You are remembering correctly; we specifically relaxed the minimum character limit in the discobot topics.

6 Likes