Rename @discobot's start new user command

I think that something like

@discobot start tutorial

Start a tutorial to learn how to use this forum. Earn a :medal_sports: at the end.

@discobot start advanced tutorial

Start a tutorial to learn how to use this forum at an advanced level. Earn a :trophy: at the end.

would make a lot more sense than the existing

@discobot start new user

Starts one of the following interactive narratives: new user, advanced user.

16 Likes

Itā€™s a tricky one, because itā€™s for new, existing, migrated and returning users. Some communities were on Discourse before discobot was implemented, while others migrated to Discourse after a decade or longer on another platform.

In all of those cases only one is a new user.

Perhaps, but it still wouldnā€™t be something that anyone would guess.

2 Likes

Sure I support this, can we add it as a synonym @tgxworld?

3 Likes

I think what we really need is a one-click link that sends the discourse narrative bot new user tutorial message to the user.

This opens so many possibilities. For example, the %{new_user_tips} template can now append a new line at the bottom if the narrative bot is enabled. It would look like:

For a few quick tips on getting started as a new user, check out this blog post.

As you participate here, weā€™ll get to know you, and temporary new user limitations will be lifted. Over time youā€™ll gain trust levels that include special abilities to help us manage our community together.

For even more tips, click to start our interactive new user tutorial.

Would these links do?

source:

* [Start New User Tutorial](/new-message?username=discobot&title=Discobot%20Tutorial&body=@discobot%20start%20new%20user)
* [Start Advanced User Tutorial](/new-message?username=discobot&title=Discobot%20Advanced%20Tutorial&body=@discobot%20start%20advanced%20user)
9 Likes

Yes! These are perfect! How are these links generated? Iā€™d love to be able to link to other Discourse actions, like Reply to a topic.

3 Likes

You copy/paste the stuff under the word ā€œsourceā€.

EDIT:

oops. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

to be fair I edited that into the OP after he asked :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I understand that part. Just created a custom message for my instance of Discourse

https://discourse.nycedu.org/new-message?username=pupbot&title=Start%20new%20user%20tutorial&body=@pupbot%20start%20new%20user%0D%0A%0D%0ANote:%20Just%20click%20on%20the%20blue%20Message%20button%20below%20to%20start.

My question is more, in the future if I want to create links like this for other actions, how do I do that? For example, I really want to have a Reply to topic link. My particular user base isnā€™t necessarily very tech savvy, so I really need to spell things out for them and make it as easy as possible.

Not sure how to do that offhand, but is there a reason the existing options are insufficient? You could even make them more clear:

or add text to this button:

1 Like

Iā€™ll play around with it :smile:

Going back to the @discobot start new user commandā€¦ As you can see from my source code, I definitely hacked together the link that would work for us. Do you see this as a useful enough tool that Discourse could potentially write into existing text content?

Iā€™m not sure what youā€™re asking here.

Probably you are looking for

and

2 Likes

I meant, will the Start New User Tutorial link be included in future automated messages?

I would say yes :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

It turns out that is nothing for me to do here. What I forgot is that I built the triggers in a way that they can be customized via the admin panel.

Simply change the reset_trigger in admin > Customize > Text Content and :confetti_ball:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s only going to allow for a community to replace the trigger though, rather than add a synonym.

It creates the risk someone familiar with Discourse from another community being unable to use the standard trigger.

@codinghorror will need to confirm but I assumed that he suggested adding a synonym because we thought we didnā€™t have a way to customize those triggers.

2 Likes

Yes, my original thought was that I didnā€™t have a way to customize the triggers. At the same time, I do think itā€™s a more user-friendly command in general, so I continue to advocate for it to be a synonym to make the transition between discourse instances seamless.

As an FYI - my pronouns are she/her/hers.