Reorder Categories behaving strangely

(Denis Heraud) #1

I’ve never tried to reorder Categories until yesterday and it was a nightmare!

I created a new Category yesterday and wanted to move it up the chain so that it would be near the top. When I clicked the up arrow, it went up twice, then wouldn’t move up anymore. I could move it down, but never up past that point. Then it wouldn’t move at all.

Today I thought it might be a theme issue (I don’t have any plugins) so I entered safe mode and same thing is happening, none of my attempts to reorder categories happen as expected.

I tried to move random categories around (most have subcategories btw) and some would move, some wouldn’t move at all… there’s no rhyme or reason to it that I can discern.

I’m on v2.2.0.beta5 +157.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Forgot to include screenshot

Sorting Categories by Name
(Joshua Rosenfeld) #2

Can you be more specific about what you’re encountering? Which categories won’t move? Are they parent or sub-categories? Is it the arrows that don’t work, or the number input?

(Denis Heraud) #3

I’m only trying to move parent categories, not sub-categories.

To be honest it’s a bit all over the place. When the arrows wouldn’t work, I tried giving it a number (6, in this case) to bump it up where I wanted it to be, and it worked, but then when I tried to give it another number, it would no longer move to that number. So sometimes arrows don’t work, sometimes numbers. On my screenshot, trying to move #29 wouldn’t work at all with arrows. If I try to move #30 up or down, same thing, arrows don’t work. Trying to change #30 to #24 doesn’t work either.

I did some testing on sub-categories also, and although the arrows work well in this case (within their parent category), trying to change the number to swap sub-categories with one another doesn’t always work. I just tried entering the number 28 in the one labeled 26, and all it did was swap 26 and 27, and 28 remained the same. However, if I move 26 down to 28 with the down arrow, and then change the number 26 to 28 (to move it back), that works.

Like I said, it’s all over the place.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #4

Yeah, something’s not working quite right here. I can’t reproduce the arrow issue on try, but entering numbers doesn’t work consistently. For example, if I enter 2 for uncategorized it does nothing. Entering 3 works, but moves it to 2, not 3. There are no subcategories on try, I wonder if that’s why the arrows are working for me.

(Denis Heraud) #6

It would be interesting to see if you could reproduce the arrows issue as well (by adding sub-categories). I can’t play around with mine too much at the moment as it’s a live site.

I’m having some similar issues, but somewhat more severe. None of my arrows do anything, and any number I enter gets reverted to its previous value as soon as I focus out.

However, after adding a new category, I am able to reorder it by entering a number but not the arrows. Categories above/below the new category can then be moved around it, but are still unable to be reordered relative to other pre-existing categories.

(Jeff Atwood) #8

Hmm @joffreyjaffeux is this Ember upgrade related?

(Joffrey Jaffeux) #9

I doubt it, it seems people in this topic are experiencing it on their own site. It’s still only deployed on meta.

(Keith John Hutchison) #10

I have the same issue.

(Tim Lange) #11

Opened a PR :slight_smile:

As a workaround until this is fixed: clicking the “Apply” button at the bottom of the form frequently is your friend. Clicking it after a successful use of an arrow button will put the form into a state that makes it quite probable that another use of an arrow button will also be possible.

This is how I have kept a list of ~100 categories in order for 18 months now …