Request: Synchronize green indicator for unread private messages when the topic is open

It is somewhat complicated to explain.

Let’s say you have a private conversation with a member and the appropriate topic /t/[topic-name]/[numbers] is open. Now the member will send you a new message in this topic. The green indicator for new private messages (on the Avatar) goes to (1). You directly see the message in the topic, since it is already open. Now you switch to another topic and the green (1) is still there.

It would be nice if this was synchronized.

2 Likes

I think this worked at some point, and might be related to this:

3 Likes

I’m experiencing this all the time. I’ll making a recording next time I receive a PM (feel free to send me a test PM; too lazy to do that myself with a test user during the weekend!)

In short, the notification is still there when I open a message, when really it should be cleared as soon as you’ve opened the message.

3 Likes

I need a clear and exact repro, this is something I would like fixed

Keep in mind though, green is cleared when you read the message, not when you open it. I used the post timing stuff to trigger the clearing

1 Like

That might be all it is then. I think I’m just used to it being cleared immediately upon open. Couldn’t we do that instead?

I don’t really see the UX benefit of waiting for the post-read timing to trigger it.

Probably because PM are more important than regular posts?

But I agree, it feels inconsistent.

I don’t have a consistent way to repro it, but it happens quite often to me. There’s definitely more to it then requiring to actually read the post, when it happens to me scrolling through the post doesn’t help.