Notification count doesn't decrease live

(Felix Freiberger) #1

If I recall correctly, some time ago, the blue number next to your avatar was always updated live, in both directions.

Now, this isn’t working (anymore). The number counts up when a notification is pushed, but doesn’t count down automatically in many cases.

For example, if I receive a desktop notification for a reply and click it, Chrome activates and I’m navigated to the post, but the blue 1 remains. Clicking on the avatar dismisses it.
The same happens when the notification is cleared by manually navigating to the post.

Request: Synchronize green indicator for unread private messages when the topic is open
(Jeff Atwood) #2

Is this a good repro @sam?

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #3

It’s working fine for me on meta.

(Felix Freiberger) #4

Hm. This has been haunting me for a few weeks at least. Now suddenly after reporting it, I can no longer reproduce this; neither on try nor on my self-hosted instances…

For now, let’s just assume I’ve been hallucinating and everything is fine :sunny:

If I catch this again, I’ll try to find more reliable reproduction steps. :slight_smile:

(Jeff Atwood) #5

(Régis Hanol) #6

(Felix Freiberger) #7

This has started happening all the time on my hosted instances now, especially when opening messages from a link received via email.

I also have a repro on try now, and it is very simple:

1. Sign up on try.
  2. Click your avatar.
  3. Don’t open your welcome message, but right-click it and copy the URL.
  4. Close the tab. Open a new one, and navigate to the pasted URL.
  5. Notice the green :one: shows on your avatar.
  6. Click your avatar again. The unread count disappears.

This isn’t happening every time, but I’ve definitely seen it once on Try.

(Felix Freiberger) #8

I’ve just seen this happen here on Meta, when opening a message via the link in the notification mail, in Safari on iOS.

(Felix Freiberger) #9

I’ve also noticed this happening on one of my self-hosted instances when opening a topic from the topic list for which I have an unread reply notification – the blue 1 should be removed, but isn’t until the notifications list is opened.

Edit: This also happened on Meta just now.

Another Edit: For some time now, I’ve neven seen this working, even here on Meta.