Notification count doesn't decrease live

If I recall correctly, some time ago, the blue number next to your avatar was always updated live, in both directions.

Now, this isn’t working (anymore). The number counts up when a notification is pushed, but doesn’t count down automatically in many cases.

For example, if I receive a desktop notification for a reply and click it, Chrome activates and I’m navigated to the post, but the blue 1 remains. Clicking on the avatar dismisses it.
The same happens when the notification is cleared by manually navigating to the post.

Is this a good repro @sam?

It’s working fine for me on meta.

4 Likes

Hm. This has been haunting me for a few weeks at least. Now suddenly after reporting it, I can no longer reproduce this; neither on try nor on my self-hosted instances…

For now, let’s just assume I’ve been hallucinating and everything is fine :sunny:

If I catch this again, I’ll try to find more reliable reproduction steps. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This has started happening all the time on my hosted instances now, especially when opening messages from a link received via email.

I also have a repro on try now, and it is very simple:

1. Sign up on try.
  2. Click your avatar.
  3. Don’t open your welcome message, but right-click it and copy the URL.
  4. Close the tab. Open a new one, and navigate to the pasted URL.
  5. Notice the green :one: shows on your avatar.
  6. Click your avatar again. The unread count disappears.

This isn’t happening every time, but I’ve definitely seen it once on Try.

1 Like

I’ve just seen this happen here on Meta, when opening a message via the link in the notification mail, in Safari on iOS.

I’ve also noticed this happening on one of my self-hosted instances when opening a topic from the topic list for which I have an unread reply notification – the blue 1 should be removed, but isn’t until the notifications list is opened.

Edit: This also happened on Meta just now.

Another Edit: For some time now, I’ve neven seen this working, even here on Meta.

Oh this has been completely redone to always send full counts, it never sends deltas, so this issue of only counting up should not be the case.