Reset password URL is /password-reset

I’m using @vindia’s script here:

https://github.com/vindia/discourse_user_importer/

To import users into a forum. They will all have to reset their password to get in and make changes.

Is there a URL I can send them to to reset this directly? Something like /my/password or /reset-password?

Thanks!

1 Like

Not as far as I know. I just mailed them instructions to go to “Login” and then “Forgot password”, so Discourse will sent them the right password reset mail. It’s a bit clunky, I admit.

1 Like

As I bulk-add these users, I’d love to be able to point them to the URL where they can reset their password (as opposed to manual words… “Go to the login page, click Login, click Reset password”

It’s more friendly in any set of written instructions about Discourse and its usage. Not high priority, but a nice touch, and I would expect not too hard to implement [for someone who has more skills than I].

@neil didn’t we add a route for this to support existing customers with a bunch of migrated accounts that need to reset password to get in?

1 Like

I think issuing the password resets with an admin authorization (api_key + api_username=system) would work for bypassing the rate limits.

Yes we did! The path is /password-reset. @watchmanmonitor You almost had it right. :smile:

3 Likes

Hi

I’m not able to make it work on my invite-only forums. I just get redirected to the login page.

I does work here on meta… updating this to “bug”

Are you on latest?

As it works at Sitepoint. It does redirect back to /latest, but it brings up the Password Reset modal.

1 Like

I tested it on my hosted “cider cooler” site before breaking out the B word :slight_smile:

and I just updated another site to latest, same lack of reset, on these closed forums, where registration is possible.

So I guess it has to do with invite only. What is the exact repro?

Invite only = unchecked
login required = checked
must approve users = checked
enable local = checked
allow new users = checked

google, twitter, facebook logins all enabled, no SSO in place.

Going to forum/password-reset looks a bit jerky, as if the reset modal were displayed, but a user just gets the normal signup/login page.

I flagged this thread with the hosted URL you can repro on

1 Like

The /password-reset route was definitely broken when login required is enabled. I pushed a fix for that, and also fixed it always trying to go to the “latest” page.

3 Likes

confirmed working on the site where this came up. thanks for the fast fix!

PS does your like on a topic comment count for Senior Tester badge I’m working on? :wink:

Nope. That badge works only for topics (ie. post_number == 1).

1 Like