Restore backup without reconfiguring Discourse

(Martial) #1

It will be great if there is a way to restore a backup without reconfiguring the Discourse from the beginning.

For now, the differents steps to restore a backup from a server to another are :

1 - make a backup
2 - reinstall Discourse with ./discourse-setup and complete the questions : host, smtp, port etc
3 - configure SSL
4 - load the backup

Why should I complete the step 2 (and 3) if all the data are replace by the backup two minutes laters.

Proposition :

The discourse-setup script have an option where a backup is passed in parameter to direclty install the Docker and Discourse regarding the backup variables (host, smtp etc)

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #2

Because the backup doesn’t contain your environment variables (STMP, etc) and certificates (SSL).

(Martial) #3

So if i do not answer the same way (host, port, smtp) on the new installation and then I load the backup.

The forum will work and take the new parameters in account?

(Jay Pfaffman) #4

Mostly. You may need to rebake as described here.

(ljpp) #5
  1. Backup
  2. Transfer your app.yml to new server, comment out Lets Encrypt lines
  3. Bootstrap
  4. Restore
  5. Un-comment Lets Encrypt
  6. Rebuild
  7. Transfer the domain.
  8. Reboot server

Thats my flow and been doing it a lot during this winter.

(Jay Pfaffman) #6

You need to re-point the domain to the new IP before you rebuild with let’s encrypt. Let’s Encrypt won’t get a certificate unless the domain name resolves to the IP requesting the certificate.

(ljpp) #7

You might think so, wouldn’t you. But at least in a case when you trasfer an existing site, which has already has Let’s Encrypt, it works.

I did add step 8. to reboot. Not sure at what point does acme.sh take care of it, but site works and certificates are there. Just moved one site today.

(Jay Pfaffman) #8

Ha! Interesting. I’d argue that’s a bug in acme, but this isn’t the place for that. :slight_smile:

(ljpp) #9

I cant now remember for 100% sure, but I think the rebuild generates some of the certificate related files, but the actual *.cer appears after the domain is transferred and system rebooted.

But can’t say for sure, since I did not really make note of it at the time. I was just happy to see the site go live and certs being in place with very little down time.

Does that mean letsencrypt issues a new cert automatically Everytime?

(Jay Pfaffman) #11

If it needs to. If there is a valid CERT it’ll is it.