Restore Mailing List Mode Daily Summary

I did a fork which we have been using for some month:

If there is interest to discuss it, I will open an appropriate thread.

Additional features of this fork are:

• configuration options for
    • categories, which should be included in the mailing
    • user groups, which should be targeted in the mailing
    • time of day, when the mailing should happen
  • updatet mail template (with better support for dark mode)

The main reason for using this plugin was to be able to promise users “one mail per day”.

In our experience, however, an email that summarizes the changes in one day is ignored by many recipients or ends up in spam.

Other disadvantages of sending a summary of updates to a target group that mainly uses a forum by email are

• no information about an update in the subject line of the mail
  • users cannot process the information individually, i.e. partially delete, mark, etc
  • it is not possible to reply by e-mail
  • auto threading in your mail client will be disabled
  • you have to reinvent the wheel, if you want fine-grained subscriptions to information flows in your discourse.

There will be areas of application where such an update will continue to make sense. For this, it would be advantageous to at least have the subject line generated by AI.

However, we have decided to expect the user to receive a large number of emails, but to make it possible to subscribe to them in ever greater detail through the use of tags.
As the assignment of tags now leads to mails being sent, it is important to be able to unsubscribe from these via a link in the mail:

In the long term, it would be desirable if the urgency of updates (immediate, weekly or monthly summary) could be made configurable or selectable by users on a tag / category basis.

2 Likes