Reuse Discourse Hamburger Functionality

Hello Discourse Team!

I am using the discourse CLI Discourse Theme CLI (console app to help you build themes) and the plugin API A new versioned API for client side plugins to help me create my theme.

I have added a custom header in the header.html file. On mobile, I was hoping to create a hamburger menu that functions like discourse’s hamburger

But has completely different menu contents.

I could create the hamburger and menu with my knowledge of css/html/js. But I was hoping for a way to use the functionality that discourse has already implemented (opening, closing, etc…).

Any suggestions on how to achieve this?

• I thought maybe I would be able to extend the widget for the current navigation, change the settings, then attach it to the html I have written for my nav. But the connectors seemed to be predefined, and I wasnt sure how to connect my widget to my html. This might not be the right direction at all either…
2 Likes

Okay, so I think I have a better understanding on what I am trying to do.

I would like to create a connector where I can connect to one of the elements that I have added to the page.

I’m guessing this isn’t possible???

The plugin API (https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/app/assets/javascripts/discourse/lib/plugin-api.js.es6#L11) has api.registerConnectorClass but I cannot seem to figure out how to connect this to my custom element.

The Brand header theme component might give you some ideas about how to approach this. You can find its code here: https://github.com/discourse/discourse-brand-header. It only displays a hamburger menu in mobile mode. You can get the mobile view on a desktop by appending
?mobile_view=1 to your forum’s URL.

10 Likes

This is slightly rough but should get you 99% of the way there when it comes to having an additional menu item with a dropdown panel. Calling this one a pizza menu :pizza:. Add this to your header.html file.

<script type="text/discourse-plugin" version="0.8">

api.createWidget('pizza-menu', {
  tagName: 'div.pizza-panel',

panelContents() {
    return "hello world";
  },

html() {
    return this.attach('menu-panel', {
      contents: () => this.panelContents()
    });
  },

clickOutside() {
    this.sendWidgetAction('togglePizza');
  }
});

api.decorateWidget('header-icons:after', function(helper) {
  const headerState = helper.widget.parentWidget.state;
  let contents = [];
    contents.push(helper.attach('header-dropdown', {
      title: 'pizza-menu',
      icon: 'cutlery',
      active: headerState.pizzaVisible,
      iconId: 'toggle-pizza-menu',
      action: 'togglePizza',
    }));
    if (headerState.pizzaVisible) {
            contents.push(helper.attach('pizza-menu'));
    }
    return contents;
});

api.attachWidgetAction('header', 'togglePizza', function() {
  this.state.pizzaVisible = !this.state.pizzaVisible;
});

</script>

20 Likes

Yes! This is very close!

My only concern was the connect part:

What if I wanted to add the pizza menu to a custom HTML element (defined in common/head_tag.html)?

Ah ok in that case you’re looking at something more like what @simon mentioned in the brand header theme component, I was attaching the action to the existing header widget… the brand header adds it to a new one. The new widget here w/ toggleHamburger:

api.createWidget('brand-header', {
    tagName: 'header.b-header.clearfix',
    buildKey: () => `header`,

defaultState() {
      let states =  {
        hamburgerVisible: false
      };

return states;
    },

toggleHamburger() {
      this.state.hamburgerVisible = !this.state.hamburgerVisible;
    },

and then the action is added to an HTML element in another widget here

api.createWidget('brand-header-icons', {
    tagName: 'ul.icons.clearfix',

buildAttributes() {
      return { role: 'navigation' };
    },

html(attrs) {
      const hamburger = this.attach('header-dropdown', {
                              title: 'hamburger_brand_menu',
                              icon: 'bars',
                              iconId: 'toggle-hamburger-brand-menu',
                              active: attrs.hamburgerVisible,
                              action: 'toggleHamburger'
                            });
      const icons = [hamburger];
      return icons;
    },
  });
8 Likes

Thank you for this code. Can you point me in the right direction on filling out the panelContents? I see some indication, but not sure how it all links together.

hello! I know this is an old topic but this is almost what I’m looking for/trying to do. So therefore I post here (instead of making a new topic). Please bear in mind that I am not a developer and I don’t know how the plugins work and I cannot write javascript. But I know how to copy-paste code :wink:

What I’m trying to do is add login to a chatroom inside a dropdown menu. Thus, I want a “chat” icon, and in the dropdown menu will be an input field and a submit button, and some help text / link to help page.

Can I adapt your code then, instead of the ‘cutlery’ icon a ‘chat’ icon, how to do that?
and secondly, how can I insert HTML code instead of the ‘hello world’ statement. (basically how to enter HTML in there?

thank you very much in advance!

1 Like

In relation to Queth’s post, is it possible to insert an additional link right before FAQ on the dropdown panel?

This component could work. Just have to move the custom link right before FAQ
https://meta.discourse.org/t/custom-hamburger-menu-links/87644/41

2 Likes

haha by coincidence I am looking at exactly the same thing too. I think the best way is to reopen the hamburger-menu widget and override the html method.
https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/c200238bdc241586bfe82b2d0fc1f600fec45b1f/app/assets/javascripts/discourse/app/widgets/hamburger-menu.js#L328
I will unshift my widget in front of the faq thingy. I didnt check if it works, but that will be my approach :smiley:
Here it seems to work

api.reopenWidget("hamburger-menu", {

html() {
        let conti = this.panelContents()
        conti.unshift(h('div',[h('span','blabla description: '),this.attach('widget-dropdown',
  {id: "from", translatedLabel: "bla",onChange: "changeaction",
  content: [
      { id: 1, label: "foo.bar" },
      { id: 2, translatedLabel: "FooBar" },
      { id: 3, label: "foo.baz", icon: "times" },
      { id: 4, html: "<b>foo</b>" },
    ],
    options: {bodyClass: "lang-drop-body"}
  })]))
        return this.attach("menu-panel", {
          contents: () => conti,
          maxWidth: this.settings.maxWidth
        });
      },
  });

I added a dropdown for example.
cheers

4 Likes

Hi, how can I place this right after the search icon? And how to add custom html inside panelContents?

1 Like