Reverse Chronological Topics

Hi everyone,

We use a topic as a change log for our product. It would be really useful to sort this one topic in reverse chronological order so that the most recent release is listed first.

Does anyone know of an option or plugin that can do this?

3 Likes

There might be an option or a plugin I’m not aware of, but I would suggest using a topic with only one post and make it a wiki where you insert new changes at the beginning. Would this be an option for you?

4 Likes

You can copy the Discourse changelogs model on releases

1 Like

Thanks for the replies! My concerns with these methods:

1. We already have a year’s worth of release posts, so migrating would be tedious

2. We have encouraged users to subscribe to the thread so they can get updates. I suppose that would work for watching an entire category like releases, but I don’t think it would work for editing a wiki post. I don’t remember…can you get notifications for an updated wiki?

1 Like

When they come to the tread they are taken to the last post read, so it kind of makes sense to read what changed from last time.

And the new post notifications also take then to the new post.

3 Likes

Ah yeah, fair enough. I guess the only other case would be new users/viewers of the post.

Thanks much.

2 Likes

For that case, you could manage a link in the first post that takes the user straight to the latest post.

P.S.: Of course, users can easily achieve this using End key or the slider, but this obviously requires that the user is familiar with keyboard shortcuts or Discourse.

Update

Actually, there is always a link to the latest reply below the first post (even if it’s hard to miss, especially but not only for new users, given that it is next to all the other information):

2 Likes

I’m wondering if anyone implemented such a feature in the last 7 years …

1 Like

not that I know of, but discourse post voting does change the order of the stream.

2 Likes

Closed in favour of Can discourse display topic replies in reverse order?