Reviewing New Members

We have never had to review any new members that joined, but we have started having to review and manually approve new members. The admins have not made any changes to settings. This started happening yesterday. Hoping for advice on how to fix this. Thanks so much!

1 Like

I think it may have to relate to the “must approve users” option that just got enforced more strictly on invites.

See below:

4 Likes

One tricky side effect of this, if I understand correctly, is that staff invites issued to a specific email address will no longer be automatically approved on an instance with must_approve_users. I think this is not ideal, since staff’s inviting a specific user is implicit approval. That said, I understand the decision.

1 Like

Yeah, the way I thought the change would work is making it so that one has to explicitly click approve on all users who joined through an anonymous invite link, not an invite that was tied directly to a specific email address. That those invites with specific email addresses would not override the must approve users. At least that’s how I interpreted the intent, I could be wrong on that and/or it could have been implemented differently. Maybe what I’m talking about are the edge cases that Sam mentioned not wanting to deal with.

@HSMMJ I think the problem you encountered has already been fixed with a recent deploy of your site considering that the site setting must approve users is disabled since 2019.

I did some tests with the invitations on your site and everything seems to work properly now.

Please contact us if any user should end up again in the review queue for the approval by the staff.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for your help, @dax , @jimkleiber , and @agungor !

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.