Rewarding volunteer engagement in FLOSS with GNU Taler

Cross-posted from TALER ICH

Have you heard of Local Exchange Systems (LES) or Time Banks? Those community networks allow their members to receive some tokens instead of money for the service they propose. Those tokens can then be used in return to access to other services.

GNU Taler could be used as a protocol for implementing such concepts in a federated, international, interoperable way. Think of the “Like” button in most social networks. What if Taler was another option to reward publications, contributions or just to support people in general?

For instance, it could first be implemented (first as experimental plugins) :

• on Discourse;
  • on GitLab/Forgejo;
  • on Liberapay, Ko-fi, Tipeee…;
  • on any other platform suitable for it!

Superficially, I feel like it basically requires to:
1 - interface Taler Wallet with personal accounts, thus in the user profile of the platforms
2 - implement the Reward button as a proper API call to a Taler Backend.

Is anyone already working on a similar project?

Also, FIY:

1 Like

You’ve posted in marketplace. Are you putting up funding for this? If so what is your budget?

1 Like

There’s an open call by NLNet ongoing. Its grants span from 5k to 50k€.

So come back here if you win the grant and take a small % for facilitating?

1 Like

I’m sorry but I can’t apply for it since I’m part of the NGI TALER consortium.

So who in this community would qualify then?

3 Likes

Someone move this topic to feature and problem solved? Someone might be interested in the potential bounty.

There’s clearly a lot of non-dev work to this up front that might not need a developer to be involved much to begin with.

This goes beyond the usual marketplace or feature topic.

Someone needs to step up, engage the consortium, come with a credible plan, draft a proposal, draft a functional spec, win a grant and potentially engage a reliable, established entity to deliver the work.

Aside from estimation, none of that is dev work but it would be reasonable to take a % cut for all that effort.

I don’t believe there are many individual devs who would be prepared to put time in or even equipped to do all that up front, as it is not really their forte, expertise or focus.

It would require a very motivated developer if one existed that saw significant personally benefit from delivering the work. I don’t think such a person exists in the community, but delighted to be proven wrong - if there is, go for it!

5 Likes

That goes for 50% of the posts in marketplace, most because of the very low available budget. Now this is a more complex project but at least there is a normal budget available.

Since when is marketplace only targeted at individual developers?

Long story short, I don’t see why you are so negative about this. GNU TALER is an interesting and commendable project and it would be cool if there were some integrations between it and Discourse.

4 Likes

Are you volunteering? :wink:

I might very well be, although probably not this quarter. And since it’s a paid project, I don’t see this as volunteering :wink:

5 Likes

It was raised in the past and garnered no public interest:

I’m not being negative, just suggesting a way to get this kind of thing off the ground.

2 Likes