Running commands inside discourse container?

I would like to script discourse restore... but I don’t understand how to easily pass commands from the host to the discourse docker container. I tried:

sudo docker run local_discourse/app discourse enable_restore

but that didn’t work…

Ideally I could do something like ./launcher run app discourse enable_restore and then ./launcher run app discourse enable_restore and ./launcher rebuild app

In case you’re curious, the reason to automate the discourse restore is so that I can do a nightly restore of the most recent live database on to our staging server.

3 Likes

After inspecting ./launcher for a while, I was able to implement a ./launcher exec command that works like I was hoping for.

Made a PR if the Discourse team can make this generally available.

https://github.com/discourse/discourse_docker/pull/398

With this, I was able to very easily grab my latest S3 backup from live and load it our testing server:

#!/bin/bash -x

SITE="forum-example-com" # the way site name shows up in your backup files...
BUCKET="forum-example-backups"
DATE=$(date --date="-1 day" +%Y-%m-%d)
FILE=$(aws s3api list-objects-v2 --bucket $BUCKET --query "reverse(sort_by(Contents[?starts_with(Key, \`$SITE\`) == \`true\`]|[?LastModified > \`$DATE\`].{Key: Key, Size: Size, LastModified: LastModified},&LastModified))" | jq -r '.[0] | .Key')
aws s3 cp s3://$BUCKET/$FILE /var/discourse/shared/standalone/backups/default/$FILE

cd /var/discourse
sudo ./launcher exec app discourse enable_restore
sudo ./launcher exec app discourse restore $FILE
sudo ./launcher rebuild app

Note that at the end of my app.yml I also find it handy to reset several site settings

- exec: rails r "SiteSetting.long_polling_base_url=''"
  - exec: rails r "SiteSetting.title='dev.example.com'"
  - exec: rails r "SiteSetting.invite_only=true"
  - exec: rails r "SiteSetting.login_required=true"
  - exec: rails r "SiteSetting.disable_digest_emails=true"
  - exec: rails r "SiteSetting.allow_index_in_robots_txt=false"
  - exec: rails r "SiteSetting.reply_by_email_enabled=false"
  - exec: rails r "SiteSetting.pop3_polling_enabled=false"
  # if you have categories that you don't want to show on your staging site...
  # exec: rails r "Category.find_by_slug('SiteDevelopment').destroy" 
3 Likes

Is there an obvious advantage here that I’m missing versus running commands directly inside the container using
./launcher enter app

4 Likes

There are a few:

1. Shorter commands removing redundant steps (./launcher enter app is just ./launcher exec app bash except you’re stuck in bash without the defaults that you’re accustomed to, and then you still need to run the command you actually wanted to run (ie, discourse restore. Also, inside the container’s bash you constantly (every rebuilt) loose all your shell history and the history settings inside the container are probably not what you’re used to. You’re also forced to use bash instead of zsh or whatever shell you might normally use.
  2. How do you automate anything on the host that operates on your container without this? For example, the script I outlined above that we run on our staging site each night… grabs our database from live and restores it onto dev. I imagine you don’t want to write expect scripts to automate a terminal session…
1 Like

Here’s an example of what I’ve been doing:

docker exec -w /var/www/discourse -i app rake api_key:get

but having launcher facilitate that seems like a great idea to me.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.