Search Results Limited to 50 each time

Searching seems to only give me 50 results (no matter what I search for). I’m not sure if this truly is a bug or whether it’s an undocumented (as far as I can tell) feature.

Showing it on both Discourse Meta and my own forum:

4 Likes

It’s the undocumented design, not easy to solve

3 Likes

I run into this problem almost every day…

… one of the Discourse sites I help run is over 12 years old, with over 450k of posts (lots of content)

So 50 results is almost never enough.

7 Likes

I was just about to come and report this as a bug. 50 seems awfully restrictive - 100 to 200 would be a better minimum if possible.

(I think on vB it was usually 500)

8 Likes

If expanding the number of results that appears at once is to performance heavy, perhaps a Next button?

3 Likes

At the very least, the “No more results found” text should be changed, as it’s misleading; it implies there are no more results for the search term, not that there’s a limit on the number of results the system returns.

8 Likes

Why not at the very least show the total number of hits, so the user is able to make an informed choice about refining their search?

3 Likes

I would like to set the amount of search results in the admin. Or at least have a next button. We are considering ditching Discourse because of this. Our users want to go back through the years and read ALL the posts about a search term.

2 Likes

My understanding is that this behaviour isn’t by design and will take considerable work to resolve.
Tagging in @codinghorror for input.

2 Likes

@sam replied above, and originally worked on this, so you may want to ask him.

2 Likes

@dmacjam is working on a fix, should be resolved in a few weeks

3 Likes

Here is the pull request resolving this issue: https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/4981 - added infinite loading of search results, in total 10 pages of 50 results are loaded when scrolling which results in 500 search results (not more because of the performance, even Google limits maximum 1000 results per query). If there are still more results, it tells users to narrow down their search criteria. Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

15 Likes

Ok this is now deployed and working, thanks @dmacjam! :tada: :taco:

4 Likes