Search string URL

(Vimala Ayya) #1

This is probably a very silly question but I need to link to the forum from another website with a search query but any search queries I run come up with the wrong answers.

For instance, if I want to search for DN1 via ../search?q=DN1 , it also comes up with DN10, DN11,DN101, etc. If I try something like ../search?q=DN1%20 it just strips the whitespace and comes up with the same result. I tried various other ways but cannot find the correct search query to run. So what is the correct way?

Thanks!

(Jay Pfaffman) #2

I had a similar problem recently trying to search here for “app”; I tried searching for "app ", but that didn’t seem to work either.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Seems fine to me… it is a slow search since there are a billion hits for a word so generic though

(Eli the Bearded) #4

I think the issue is searching for “app” without the “approve” results in second slot. If a stem is less common than a complete word, finding just the stem is difficult. The request is for a way to not get those longer results.

(Jay Pfaffman) #5

I was looking for a quote from you saying something like "the JavaScript app is the documentation ", but it was also matching every word that starts with “app” so I gave up. As the OP says, there seems to be no way to search for “app” without also matching “approve”, “apple”, and so on.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Why didn’t you search for “JavaScript app” with the quotes? Try it.

(Vimala Ayya) #7

The problem here is simply solved by looking for "app " (with a space behind it and in quotation marks"). This gives you the following url: /search?q="app%20"

But for some reason on our forum that does not work; it now gives me all the results for where the search-string as well as quotation marks appear and not just the search-string itself.
Note also the double quotation marks in 16 results found for ""dn1 "", which it does not do in Meta.
We are still running a slightly older version: v1.9.0.beta2 +27 but could that explain the difference?

(Sam Saffron) #8

Are you running latest?

(Vimala Ayya) #9

Sorry to get back to you so late. I was waiting for our main developer to come back from holiday but it seems he has disappeared so I went ahead and upgraded myself. Indeed, this has solved the problem!
Thanks!!!

(Jeff Atwood) #10