Search with Bing/Yahoo/DuckDuckGo

When you’re looking for a thread and no results are found, you’ll be offered to search using Google. I think that you should be able to change the search engine (in preferences) from Google to one of the other three “major” search engines.

Maybe administrators could have the option to disallow users from changing the search engine? Maybe administrators could change the default search engine to Bing, Yahoo, or DuckDuckGo (or back to Google if they ever feel like it)?

Feel free to ask for more information. Questions and constructive criticism are welcome.

Examples

4 Likes

I disagree with this proposal as its unnecessary noise and can also devalue the quality of the site. Google is the premier search engine and it’s not even close. Be honest with yourselves, it’s a sweeping majority of people that use Google over other crappier engines. And if they don’t - they should get with the flow.

1 Like

Some people don’t like Google due to their questionable choices regarding privacy.

7 Likes

Good luck maintaining privacy in today’s Internet. It sucks that the world has changed in this way.

At least some companies try their best to protect user privacy (DuckDuckGo, Brave, etc).

3 Likes

This sounds like it should be doable in a theme component for those looking for flexibility. I’m not aware of plans for the core team to build alternate search engines, but it could be an interesting task for someone looking to get some Discourse dev experience :slight_smile:

7 Likes
11 Likes

What about Bing and Yahoo?

That DuckDuckGo theme component was contributed by our great community member @notriddle, who I assume likes DuckDuckGo.

People who likes other search engines are welcome to create similar theme components to address their needs and share it on theme-component. Using the original one as a starting point should make it easier than the first one. :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes

marketplace it is then! :moneybag:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.