Send summary of new posts to chat instead of every post update

Continuing the discussion from Chatroom Integration Plugin (discourse-chat-integration):

This is just an unfinished idea but we wanted to make it public to see if anyone else had been pondering on something similar:

codinghorror: I think a summary posted to #general would be better than raw constant posts.
e.g. “in the last 6 hours, 12 new posts were made to discourse.example.com (click)”

We recently moved the post notifications in our chat into their own dedicated category because they were generating too much noise. We might find that this solves our problem 100% seeing as the most important thing for us is just the occasional check-in to make sure the integration is still working. We regularly check in on our public and private Discourse anyhow so there’s little need for any additional notification.

This might not be the case for others though, hence this idea a for a kind of activity summary but for chat.

Let us know if you have any relevant use cases to share.

7 Likes

We’ve had a number of folks subscribe individual slack channels to particular tags. Inevitably, someone starts with /discourse watch tag:foo and then someone eventually complains about the noise, at which point I suggest turning it down to /discourse follow tag:foo so they only get notifications about new topics.

But I’m in favor of switching to something like what you suggest.

I think it would be good to have something like:

discourse-bot: BOT [12:34]
In the last 6 hours there were 8 new posts in these topics:

Use /discourse status to see and manage this channel’s subscriptions

It’d also be nice if the rate (6 hours) were settable on a channel-by-channel basis via the slash command.

7 Likes