Separating locales for admin panel and forum

I wasn’t sure if I had post it in features category.

My question is, if there any plans to separate locale for admin and forum interface.

I apologise if this was already discussed.

What do you mean? For performance reasons, they already are separated in 2 files so that non-staff members don’t have to download admin translations.

How can I make so, I will have admin panel in English, and forum interface in non-English?
This is what I meant. :wink:

Are you looking to have it in a specific language, or to allow users to choose their language?

If it’s the latter go to, admin/site_settings/category/basic, and check the box that says

allow user locale
:ballot_box_with_check: Allow users to choose their own language interface preference

If it’s the former, someone else will have to answer, sorry.

1 Like

I’m aware of this option.

Let me clarify again.

I’m an admin and I want the admin interface to be in English and at the same time forum interface, let’s say in Japanese, so anyone accessing the forum should see the interface in Japanese by default.

Does it make sense?

1 Like

Yes, that makes sense. I just wanted to be sure I understood the request. I don’t know whether that’s possible or how to do it if it is, so someone else will have to respond to that. But if it’s not possible, I can certainly see how it would be a useful feature!

1 Like

Yeah, I think this is not doable at the moment, so I was wondering if I had to post it in the features category…
Let’s see, maybe someone from dev will tell us.

PS. If I’m not mistaken SMF has this feature.

I think you can do it. Select ‘allow user locale’. Set the default locale to Japanese and your locale to English. I know that it works between English and French.

1 Like

What I did:

1. In app.yaml, set DISCOURSE_DEFAULT_LOCALE: ja
  2. rebuild the app
  3. for admin, changed the locale to en