Plugin suggestion - Set "watching" as default for a specific category on user signup

Hey,

I’m looking for a way to add every new user as a “watcher” in an updates category automatically as he/she signs up for our discourse instance.
All I could find were instructions on how to run a specific piece of code to change it for existing users in the database: Setting defaults to enable mailing list mode-Temporary Solution

So, I’m thinking of writing one myself… Is anyone else working on something similar? Any tips/how2s/things I should know?

1 Like

This is already planned as a feature for 1.4.

Allow you to set default watching / tracking etc for all users.

5 Likes

Can this be set recursively for a category?

What about when you’re setting up a new category? Can you set a default watching/tracking status then?

(If that’s the case then you can basically do it recursively as well, with a workaround: by creating a new category, set default to Watch, and then migrate an old category into that one).

The OPs’ questions is solved for all new users in this commit.

So, we’re 1/2 way there, IMO.

1 Like

Nope @erlend_sh sure can’t do recursive yet… and wow would Iike to see that… here’s a thread on the matter.

One more note for the OP

@adierteschik - it’s OK to have everyone in a discourse watch a given category… they’ll only get emails (or see it at all) if they are in a group that gives them permission to access it.

With that, I think this topic can be closed.