Setting the Discourse topic author to the post author?

Is there a way to set the Discourse topic author to the post author? I seem to recall some way to pull the username from the RSS but I don’t see that setting anymore (discourse embed feed key or something like that?). We use SSO login and we’d like to set the topic author properly so that replies will notify the original author.

We’re trying this plugin out in an attempt to solve the embedding errors that we began encountering sometime after February 2020… more detail at Embedding error.

2 Likes

I seem to remember that it used to be possible to pull the topic author from the feed. That functionality doesn’t exist in the RSS Polling plugin though. I’m not sure how much work it would be to have the plugin attempt to pull the creator from the feed and match them with an existing Discourse user.

2 Likes

It looks like the embed_username_key_from_feed SiteSetting was removed here: https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/5f318a5241c5b641b69ef05e3494ebb281876603

I could try submitting a pull request to this plugin that adds it back as a plugin setting but might need a little hand holding :sweat_smile:

Looks like most of the work would be in feed_item.rb and poll_feed.rb as well as adding the setting to feed_setting.rb

2 Likes