Setup with digital ocean and SMTP

Hey!

I need some help with setting up, i can go into PUTTY etc,

I mainly need help with SMTP (getting a service or smthn), If you have discord please let me know if you can help me.

Thanks.

You want to use a service like mailgun. I believe that the cloud install document recommends several. If you want to run your own mail server, you’ll need to get help elsewhere. It’s just not that easy anymore.

3 Likes

Thanks, I just found a tutorial for mailgun :slight_smile:

1 Like

Update: I need some help with SMTP, I have it all set up, I upgraded my mailgun acc but It won’t send emails.

@pfaffman Pleasee see above ^

Do you get anything in your mailgun logs?

Look at the mailgun logs; if they are empty. Use port 2525 for the SMTP port. You can re-run discourse-setup to change it.

1 Like

Failed: noreply@discourse.do.co → ultrahartford@gmail.com '[The Hotel Forum] Confirm new Admin Account' Server response: 550 5.7.1 Unauthenticated email from do.co is not accepted due to domain's DMARC 5.7.1 policy. Please contact the administrator of do.co domain if this was 5.7.1 a legitimate mail. Please visit 5.7.1 https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2451690 to learn about the 5.7.1 DMARC initiative. g13-v6si1623047qtq.329 - gsmtp

From Mailgun

The links in the message you pasted tell you exactly what the problem is and how to fix it.

It’s possible that sending to http://www.mail-tester.com will give more info.

1 Like

I don’t know how to, Do I use mail tester for what?

For the first,
Go to settings and change your notification email.

Change it from noreply@discourse.do.co to something like noreply@yourdomain.tld

1 Like

This also implies it is using the DO one click install, I believe they mess that email up in that exact way.

4 Likes

I know this is not specifically related to Discourse, but if anyone from Digital Ocean reads this thread, would you consider adding a warning in the Discourse One-Click Application explaining how important is to set the “notification email” correctly? It remained set to noreply@discourse.do.co and that was a pain in the neck as I ended up switching 3 different SMTP providers due to lack of clear warnings in the logs of the first two.

Last I heard no one at Digital Ocean was maintaining the script.

What it really should do is to instruct people to run discourse-setup.