Short promo/ad video I made to promote our discourse forums

Thought I might share this It’s a bit rough around the edges but seems to be working. The idea was to show the modern, look and feel of Discourse and naturally communicate that forums are not dead.

I’m actually running it as a Facebook ad right now. Small spend, $25. When people tap the video, the forums appear underneath.

Has anyone else made a promo video like this? I think it would be cool to make something based around the “most loved” features amongst discourse communities.

9 Likes

Excellent idea! We’re creating some short videos ourselves but they are based more around functionality than most loved features. I’d love to see what people come up with here. If they’re great we’ll share them on our Twitter.

9 Likes

Cool. Looking forward to seeing those. Do you have a timeline yet?

Here are the 3 that @erlend_sh has already made. The rest lie with me and I’m too scared to commit to a timeline.

Discourse Basics
https://discourse-cdn-sjc1.com/dev/uploads/default/original/2X/2/2b3bb2b5fcb7a55fc79e7f760901ae75acb7b9a7.mp4

Trust Levels
https://discourse-cdn-sjc1.com/dev/uploads/default/original/2X/2/2f811d07ad6b8261e7978870503aaa1263c27af2.mp4

Discourse Styling
https://discourse-cdn-sjc1.com/dev/uploads/default/original/2X/d/db11ccaab2cd06eb994d39b95e652bcd36836a64.mp4

9 Likes

Do these videos still exist somewhere? Or are there more recent videos explaining Discourse to new users?

Sorry for reviving a 4 year old topic but the alternatives I found were even older. Meanwhile, videos under one minute became mainstream thanks to TikTok, Instagram etc, and software explainers under 5 minutes were mainstream already years ago.

I wonder what is available. Our new users are liking Discobot and the quick support we offer to them, but these videos would be useful to them… and especially to those who aren’t joining the forum yet because they land in some page and they don’t see the benefit compared to the social media etc they are using already.

1 Like

I’ll have to look into those links and see if they were moved anywhere (and are still relevant :slight_smile:), but there are these that may be of some use?

3 Likes

Thank you! Maybe these videos with Jono (maybe he still remembers me from our GNOME years) :smiley: are the answer… if there is a version where they are being cut into capsules explaining one concept each. Some people might book 1h27 of their time to watch one Discourse video in one go… Most people however are more likely to take ~5 minute doses, even if in the end that takes longer putting all their shorter sessions together.

If you have someone with basic video editing skills able to make several new user oriented short videos out of the long one you have here, I personally believe it could make a big difference. (Longer videos for admins and power users are fine.)

2 Likes

Fair point. :slightly_smiling_face: I will see if there are some bite-sized ones knocking about. :+1:

It’s not quite the same, but if you’ve not seen it yet, there are some tips for some of the core features in the Discourse New User Guide too.

2 Likes