Showing simple text with decorateWidget

Hi

I started developing plugins for Discourse this week. I already finished my first one, that adds a button below each post that links to a homepage, depending on the post. Now, I’m on to my second project and I merely want to show some text after the name of the poster. It seems like decorateWidget is a nice way to go there, but I don’t know how I get that to work. By basic copy + pasting, I was able to show a small icon, but simply showing text still eludes me. Here’s my current code of the initializer:

import { withPluginApi } from 'discourse/lib/plugin-api'

function initializePlugin(api) {
  console.log(api)

api.decorateWidget('poster-name:after', function(helper) {
    return helper.h('i.fa.fa-arrow-circle-up.home-button-icon');         
  });

}

export default {
  name: 'youtrack-button',
  initialize: function() {
    withPluginApi('0.1', api => initializePlugin(api))
  }
}

Especially the decorateWidget part is merely copy + paste that I simplified a bit. Unfortunately I did not find any documentation for decorateWidget or h, which would probably solve these basic questions. So, how would I need to change the code to show the content of some string behind the name?

Thanks for your help!

2 Likes

Please see http://commonmark.org/help for tips and a tutorial on making a code block.

1 Like

You should be able to just return the string. h is a html helper.

api.decorateWidget('poster-name:after', function(helper) {
    return 'a string';
  });
4 Likes

That works great! Thanks!

Can I mark an answer as “Solved” somehow? I saw it in discourse already, but the button that is described in the according plugin is not visible to me :frowning:

“Solved” button available only for #support category in meta.

3 Likes