Simple Unread List Plugin (discourse-simple-unread)

Well the core of the plugin seems to work to me. Using the Nav Links Component I added a link to it, and from what I can tell it’s working properly.

So maybe all that’s needed is better instructions here. I was thinking of making some edits anyway to explain what text content keys to change. (Though I’m not sure what extent that’s still even needed with the Nav Links Component now.)

I guess the real sore point is the menu management. The Nav Links Component is great if you just want to add a link to the end, but I’d ideally add this after latest, before the original Unread tab (which I’d rename to Tracked), before Top and New and Bookmarks etc. But I expect using the component will stop the menu items from showing a number. The component also has some poor quirks, such that if you start typing and change tabs, you’ll lose everything you entered. Even the original navigation plugin didn’t look like it made it easy to rearrange the menu items.

So this does work. It’s just depends on a very sub-optimal part of the Discourse ecosystem.

4 Likes