Site navigation issues on Chrome and Firefox

Hello,

One of our users has reported encountering a navigation issue on both Chrome and Firefox. While we have conducted tests and did not experience the reported problems, we would appreciate it if you could provide the reason why and the solutions on how to fix them.

Here are the specific problems detailed by the user:

The site does not give the user the option to login from Google Chrome but she can login from Firefox.

Affects both Chrome and Firefox:
Some links are unresponsive, they can only be opened by right-clicking and open in a new window.
Blank pages open and the links in the left menu don’t work.

I am unable to upload videos inlustrating the issues since I’m a new user here. Please let me know where I can upload the video if needed for investigating the problem. Your assistance in resolving these navigation issues would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

I reviewed the videos uploaded by the user in question on your site. The issue stems from the extension of the translation plugin installed in their browser, causing a problem. If the user opens the developer console, they will almost certainly encounter this error: Failed to execute 'removeChild' on 'Node': The node to be removed is not a child of this node. I suggest advising them to try accessing the site using an anonymous window with all browser extensions disabled. This should resolve the problem. If they face no issues in anonymous mode, they will need to deactivate the extension or refrain from using it on the Discourse site to prevent the error. However, if they wish to continue using it, they will have to refresh the site every time they want to perform an action, which is evidently inconvenient.

The underlying issue lies in the fact that these translation features/extensions (and some others, such as spellchecking extensions) alter the app’s HTML structure, while frameworks like Ember rely on that structure remaining unchanged without their knowledge.

4 Likes

Thank you, @dax, I’ll advise them to do so.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.