Site title being used in subject, despite email prefix being used

Continuing the discussion from Clarification on site_domain_name and site_name:

This is still an issue on my hosted version. Is there some workaround until a fix can be had?

1 Like

That does not apply to digests, but perhaps it should. @techapj can you normalize that code?

2 Likes

I would love this as well. Our site title is way too long to be included in every email subject as a prefix. Thanks!

1 Like

Okay, done:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/3527/

4 Likes

I’m not sure this is a good idea. Notifications are received very often, perhaps every day. For those, a short slug works well.

The idea with a digest is it’s received only occasionally, and reminding people to come back to the site. Having the short slug version may not make it obvious from the subject line what the email is about or who/where it’s from. Especially now that the subject is shortened to just “Digest” with no date, the subject line shouldn’t be too long in most situations.

I for one want the full site title in the “come back” digest, just not the hundreds-per-day notifications.

1 Like

To me, it’s all about unified email subject lines… for filtering and sanity.

1 Like

That said, I just got a weekly digest from Commonmark

[CMD] Digest

and to @downey’s point, just seeing CMD in the subject line didn’t help me much.

I suppose forum operators really need to make sure their “From” name is meaningful (their case CommonMark Discussion digest )

1 Like

They wanted the short version, so that is the community’s desire in that case…

2 Likes