Socialengine importer

Has anyone hacked together an import script from Socialengine to Discourse? I’d hate to reinvent the wheel here.

1 Like

It doesn’t look like it. Can you get a database dump from them? If so, you can use one of the existing importers as a model. (See https://github.com/discourse/discourse/tree/master/script/import_scripts)

2 Likes

Yea, I didnt find anything either. Should be easy enough to import users and forums. I think forums/topics/posts become categories and their posts, and the users should just come across. I pull nightly backups from my site. I can load it into pgadmin and export out a CSV of the tables.

1 Like

Most importers pull from an sql database. Most use mysql, but there may be a couple that use postgres. You definitely want to avoid csv.

1 Like

Necroing this thread, but I finally got around to getting this working and importing my SocialEngine forum over to Discourse.

Took a significant amount of hacking and ugly code, but it worked. About 4800 users and 390k-ish posts. I did the post importing in chunks because the source DB would time out after a fashion. There’s been a bunch of post-importing processing, but overall the members seem happy.

I may clean up the code somewhat and post it as a “You can start here, almost guaranteed to not quite work right” starting point.

3 Likes

As threatened, I’ve cleaned up the code (removed all my FIXME, HACK, etc tags, and pp debugging output,) thrown together a quick README, and put it up on Gitlab.

The code is ugly, hacky, and worked for me. I make no claims that it will work for anyone else. You have been warned.

2 Likes