Sort topics (within category) in alphabetical order by default

Can we please have this already? There have been a lot of requests with various usages explained that affect people. I understand the whole philosophy of encouraging good practices, but this has had at least 4 topics I’m aware of and plenty of replies requesting it … arguing that we’re doing it wrong is kind of telling us we’re all stupid at this point :slight_smile:

At least please allow it with query strings in the url (?sort=title) so you don’t waste time on GUI extras, but please don’t oppose it to the point of almost preventing it.

I don’t need it by default. I just want to be able to do it.

In my case, we add integers to post titles as a “rank”, which we change over time as we review the topic’s importance and add new topics. Integers are not necessarily consecutive and their value matters too. It’s a private forum where each topic is a piece of (important) info, from which we need to pick the best N as a last step. The rank reviewing process requires seeing all of them in in one page, and also seeing the integer, then resort, review again, and so on, as we keep working and adding topics with various ranks in-between existing ranks.

We can’t use tags or other ugly categorization, because that would remove a subset of titles from view. Search doesn’t help either.

Currently we copy paste the titles into excel and do the whole thing there, then come back and re-edit, etc … which is stupid. Discourse should have sorting by title. It’s pretty basic.

p.p.s. So far I know of

5 Likes