Feature request: Sort display of topics Alphabetically

Currently the list of topics can be sorted by replies, views and activity.
What about sorting by title?

Example: Here are some user guides I have created for users, I used a nomenclature for the titles. It would he helpful if the users could sort on title.

5 Likes

I’d like that feature, too. In my case, it is for a category with topics that I’d like sorted by date as each topic has a video recording of a council meeting and it would easiest to digest them in chronological order in terms of finding meetings and having a sense of what is going on in the town.

I found a work around if anyone else reads this thread looking for how they can sort their topics in a category in chronological order of some sort. See this thread:

4 Likes

Just wanted to cross reference a post of a user asking for support as they had a difficult time finding a meeting thread in a category. If sorting be alphanumeric was available, this would not be an issue for us.

Here is the category in question:

https://discuss.jordanbpeterson.community/c/meetings

Hi,

The ability to sort a topic list alphabetically by title would also be helpful for when Discourse is deployed as an intranet.

For instance, in MacOS, Windows, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc. “sort by name” is a default or common way to organize files. When Discourse is being used for a staff directory, to provide easy access to policy documents, to provide notes from a regular meeting, and for other common use cases in an intranet, ‘sort by name’ would be a natural and preferred way to organize content within a Category.

I’d use this to list topics tagged #recommendations.

Currently I manually maintain an “index” topic with links in alphabetical order to individal recommendations topics, and an automated index page with alphabetical sorting by title would save me a lot of time

1 Like

This would be amazing

Alphabetically sorting would also be useful for me,
I’m building a directory with the tags and i beleive it would be worth to sort the dentists per title.

I would force them to add there name first

1 Like

I don’t see why you shouldn’t be able to sort by any column label in the list:

You can currently sort by replies, views, and activity… why not topic as well?

This feature was removed after it was pointed out that the alphabetical sort is nonsensical for the Latest view.

For a knowledge base, consider using the /docs view of the Knowledge Explorer plugin instead?

3 Likes