Specific sort style per category?

To say it before: I read the discussions and I’m fine with the default sort style of discourse :slight_smile:

Our use case is a little special. We want to use a category of our forum as changelog for our own software. To keep the order of changes, it’s crucial to keep the topics in order of their creation.

I found that you can define the order of a category with an URL param like ?order=created. But is there a way to set this as the default sorting for a specific category and keep the other categories as is?

Any help would be appreciated :slight_smile:

8 Likes

It is a good idea but not currently supported to set sort defaults per category.

1 Like

Definitely something we would like to see as well. Our use case is for an “Announcements” or “News” category that need to always have most recent on top.

I am happy to add it to our development timeline in #releases; the feature makes sense.

6 Likes

I added this feature today. We’re using it in our #releases category. You’ll find the setting in the category modal under the Settings tab:

12 Likes

This is great, can’t wait to try it out! When can we expect to see this deployed to hosted forums?

Should be deployed sometime this week.

7 Likes

Thanks! We’re trying it out now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here’s my feedback:

The setting works as expected within a single category :thumbsup:

However, topics from the categories that have been configured with “Default Sort: Created / Descending” stopped to show up on the “All categories” page. I find this impractical :confused: Is this a wanted behavior?

Hmm, possible that is a bug. @neil can you have a look?

Hi, any news on this? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Something I’d like a lot that seems directly related to this feature request:

Add category setting to override default topics view, e.g. so we could use “Top” instead of “Latest” in the #howto category.

1 Like