Sorting by creation date doesn't work

I don’t know if this is due to a recent change or if it’s always been like that, but when I go to /edit/settings and choose sort by creation date (descending), I expect to see topics sorted by creation date.

However, I’m getting topics sorted by last activity. Is it just me?

Edit: I edited the category, changed it to order by activity and saved it. They I edited it again and changed it to order by created and saved it. Now it appears to work again. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

A few hours after this change, I checked again and the order went back to decreasing activity instead of decreasing creation (I’m the only administrator, so I know nobody else changed it).

Strangely, that’s only on desktop (I’ve checked on multiple accounts and different browsers). On mobile, topics do show up ordered by creation.

Even more strangely, when I add ?order=created to the URL and visit it, other logged in users see the right (default) order.

Anything else I can try?

Can you post a screenshot of the desktop view vs mobile view? I know asking this might sound silly, but sometimes there are obvious things we can miss :slight_smile:

I think I’ve found one possible source of confusion: the category/tag links on the homepage (class=“subcategory”) point to the /latest endpoint of that category. Even though it doesn’t show up on the URL, you can see it in the Network tab:

But if I reload the page, I get the category (id 25 in this case) with the default order (“created descending” in my case)
CleanShot 2023-08-08 at 10.57.57@2x

Is there a way to prevent this behavior?

1 Like

Could you record this behavior or screenshot the elements that link to /latest when they shouldn’t in your opinion?

When I have a category ordered by creation date, whether it’s a parent or subcategory, navigating through the navigation bar
doesn’t redirect to /latest for me, so I currently can’t repro this issue.

I mean these links:

Check in the Network tab in the developer tools (it doesn’t show up on the URL) and compare it to reloading the page.

1 Like

Thank you!

I think it’s indeed not the desired behavior, especially since the category links from the sidebar link to /id. I’d say it’s not exactly a bug, but something that has been overlooked.

Can you make a new topic with detailed explanations and screenshots in bug (we’ll recategorize it later if not the best category for this)? The thing to emphasize is that these links don’t honor the category settings.

1 Like

Just to round this one out - This was indeed a bug, and fixed in:

1 Like